Organisation: The AIDS Support Organization (TASO Uganda)
Duty Station: Jinja and Tororo, Uganda
VA No.: TASO-2016-HR/5
REF: TS/HR/PM 17
Reports to: Medical Coordinator
The AIDS Support Organization (TASO Uganda) is an organisation contributing to a process of preventing HIV infection, restoring hope and improving the quality of Life of persons, families and communities affected by HIV infection and disease.
Job Summary: The DHSS Pharmacy Technician will be responsible for the pharmaceutical services at the District health facilities and ensure that the service provision complies to set pharmaceutical procedures, regulations and standards
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Dispense prescribed drugs to Public facility clients and support TASO Clients and Staff
- Follow established TASO policies, procedures, and objectives, continuous quality improvement objectives, and safety, environmental, and/or infection control standards
- Accurately and efficiently prepare prescription orders
- Verify prescription information and dosage
- Monitor patient medication compliance and over usage patterns
- Provide the list of drugs available to prescribers
- Manage drugs availability at the centre
- Dispense prescribed drugs to Public Health Facility Clients and support TASO Clients too
- Verify prescription information and dosage
- Monitor medicine over usage patterns
- Organize medications for Nurse Dispenser to dispense by reading medication orders and prescriptions; preparing labels; calculating quantities; assembling intravenous solutions and other pharmaceutical therapies.
- Read clients’ charts and prepare the appropriate medication
- Answer client questions and troubleshoot/resolve them promptly
- Assist clients with their drug therapy and pharmacy care issues
- Promote clients’ drug compliance
- Plan and forecast medical supplies and drugs
- Qualify and initiate pharmaceutical procurement
- Conduct departmental drug budgeting and planning
- Provide appropriate pharmaceutical information
- Provide technical guidance and training to dispensers
- Appraise and support Public Health Facility Pharmacy Staff
- Distribute roles to expert clients supporting pre packaging
- Conduct CME to provide up to date information on pharmaceutical products.
- Pre-pack drugs for Public Health Facility clients and support the TASO Clients too
- Counsel staff and 20 clients per clinic day on drug interactions
- Conduct one monthly health talk at service points
- Dispense presented drugs to clients and staff
- Collect and document information on adverse drug reactions
- Counsel clients and staff on drug interactions, side effects, dosage, indications and contraindications
- Protect clients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols
- Maintain pharmacy inventory by checking pharmaceutical stock to determine inventory level.
- Maintain pharmacy inventory by anticipating needed medications and supplies
- Maintain pharmacy inventory by placing and expediting orders
- Maintain pharmacy inventory by verifying receipt; removing outdated drugs
- Maintain a safe and clean pharmacy by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Oversee the acquisition and disbursement of drugs and medications from the centre stores to the pharmacy
- Maintain and establish good methods of drug storage
- Enter information of clients prescription into the Pharmacy system
- Do record keeping and monthly stock counts
- Support pharmacological services by stocking, assembling, and distributing medications
- Maintain proper storage and security conditions for drugs.
- Inspect and receive pharmaceutical products from suppliers
- Make proper storage of pharmaceutical products
- Enforce the use of pharmacy control and monitoring systems
- Prepare and submit periodic reports on pharmaceutical services
- Report all drug adverse events.
- Conduct a monthly physical stock count
- Generate and submit monthly and bimonthly ARV order report.
- Support and mentor PHFs on drug ordering and reporting.
- Mentor PHFs on how to handle expiries and how to minimize losses due to expiry
- Mentor PHFs on national disposing of drugs
- Ensure use of pharmacy MOH tools in PHFs e.g. dispensing log
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting
- Minimizing stock outs
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Diploma in Pharmacy Technology
- A minimum of three years’ experience in a dispensing
- Knowledge of drugs and their indications, contraindications, dosing, side effects, and proper administration
- Knowledge of patient care charts and patient histories
- Knowledge of policies and regulations pertaining to the disbursement of pharmaceutical drugs.
- Computer knowledge
- Basic counselling skills
- Excellent communication skills
- High degree of integrity
- Emotional Control
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates are invited to send an application letter, resume, copies of academic certificates, testimonials and three referees.
All interested Candidates MUST attach a fully filled Application Form, download here, or pick it from any TASO Centre and register in the applications book.
Note: Please firmly staple your papers together only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please forward your applications to:
The Director, Human Resource & Administration,
P.O. Box 10443,
OR Hand deliver your application to TASO HQ level II, located at Old Mulago Hospital
OR Apply Online -> Click Here
Deadline: 22nd July, 2016.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline