Job Title: Youth & Livelihoods Manager
Organization: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Economic Recovery and Development Coordinator
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC has been working in Uganda since 1998. The current program portfolio in Uganda includes health, peace building, gender-based violence, economic recovery and agribusiness, and children & youth.
Job Summary: The Youth &Livelihoods Manager will be responsible for the oversight of program planning, monitoring and management of the day-to-day implementation and operations of the youth activities under the SPEED project in Karamoja, in close collaboration with the Senior ERD Manager. The incumbent will effectively network and collaborate with District Officials, Schools, community based structures, and other NGO actors working on youth and children issues. The incumbent is also responsible for coordinating with appropriate coordination bodies in the district and the region informed on sector related developments as well as contributing high standard technical inputs for business development to ensure program quality for planned programs. The Manager will be responsible for providing support to the ERD Technical Coordinator for business development as required.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop work plans, cash projections, procurement and spending plans and ensure timely implementation of program activities.
- Manage the project budget and identify new activities and make recommendations for redirecting any savings into supporting additional activities. Any major changes should be passed by the Technical Coordinator for approval before changes are made to the spending plan.
- Strengthen networking and collaboration with relevant stakeholders such as district officials, young mothers, and community leaders in target sub counties to ensure delivery on the new parenting project.
2. Program Quality:
- Overall responsibility for the training and roll out of the youth and livelihood activities at field level.
- Supporting the ERD Technical Coordinator with technical inputs to contribute to the relevance and high quality nature of the business and life skills modules.
- Supporting and where relevant facilitating the mobilisation, training and mentoring of youth and livelihoods program officers and team leader.
- Providing ongoing support to staff and youth for effective market assessments; designing tools, data collection, analysis and reporting.
- Capacity building/training for staff, stakeholders and youth beneficiaries to ensure the effective and timely roll out of the youth saving clubs.
- Carrying out research and analysis of youth and livelihoods programming options to ensure evidence based program.
3. Program Monitoring and Evaluation
- Support staff to continuously monitor all project activities against work plans, and where possible provide guidance for improved project implementation. Update work plans and spending plans as necessary.
- Provide on-going feedback to the ERD Technical Coordinator to ensure program quality and impact is enhanced,
- Write and submit timely monthly reports, annual donor reports highlighting major areas of progress, challenges, lessons learnt to the ERD TC.
- Lead sharing of experiences and profiling of IRC work and best practices through participating in district wide networks.
- Keenly track youth indicators captured in the existing log frame.
- Document success stories and best practices for wider dissemination into the community, district and with donors,
4. Human Resource Management:
- Offer technical support and guidance to the Y&L team leader and Program Officers to ensure effective and efficient program planning, implementation and quality outputs.
- Carry out staff capacity needs assessment, develop and implement staff development plans including on-job training, mentoring and coaching to ensure professional growth and development for excellent performance.
- Identify the strengths and areas of improvement and provide candid feedback to promote improvement in implementation and team spirit.
- Carry out regular staff meetings to ensure programming achievements, and issues are addressed in a timely fashion
5. Program Development:
- When relevant, support the ERD Technical Coordinator to develop evidence based and relevant project concept notes and proposals.
- Work closely with District and other stakeholders to gather up to date qualitative and quantitative data to support project proposals.
- Provide up- to-date costs and other inputs into proposal budgets.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the International Rescue Committee (IRC) Youth & Livelihoods Manager vacancy should hold postgraduate qualifications in Economics, Rural Development or Development Studies; First degree in Social Science, or Development Studies is essential; additional training in enterprise development is added advantage.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in project design, monitoring and evaluation with excellent aptitude in logical framework approach and analytical report writing; practical experience of working with youth is required.
- Security awareness and ability to pay attention to details.
- Proven ability to plan ahead and yet accommodate unexpected tasks.
- Excellent communications, networking and liaison skills.
- Flexible and able to adapt to the logistical constraints in Karamoja.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the International Rescue Committee (IRC) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to visit the link below to Apply.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline