Job Title: Accountant
Organisation: Office of the Prime Minister (OPM)
Project Name: World Bank Third Northern Uganda Social Action Fund (NUSAF3) Project
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Financial Management Specialist/ NUSAF3
The Government of Uganda has received a credit from the International Development Association/ World Bank towards the cost of the Third Northern Uganda Social Action Fund (NUSAF3) Project. The development objective of NUSAF3 is to provide effective income support to and build the resilience of poor and vulnerable households in Northern Uganda.
Job Summary: The Accountant will offer support to the finance unit particularly sending updates of budget execution. The incumbent will assist the Financial Management Specialist in the proper planning and management of financial resources in line with the provisions of the agreed guidelines satisfactory to IDA and other participating stakeholders
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the analysis of payment requests and reconciliation with approved documentation including purchase orders (LPO) and contracts.
- Capturing payment invoices into financial management system in line with approved work plans.
- Responsible for the management of the Project commitments i.e. generating summary of LPO in the system on monthly basis, prepare reports on outstanding payments / obligations and extracting periodic Commitment Control Reports.
- Updating control cards for contractual payments and ensure no contract over-run
- In charge of preparing staff payroll and timely remitting statutory deductions to the relevant authorities.
- Update stores records and the assets register as appropriate
- Preparing schedule of payments approved by FMS indicating period taken to complete payment process;
- Keenly reviewing Reimbursement Claims submitted from the NUSAF3 Districtsfor compliance to operational and financial procedures.
- Reviewing expenditure accountability documentation for completeness, adequacy and compliance with financial and operational guidelines.
- Reviewing financial transactions entered into the FMS and generating of Payment Vouchers and receipts and filing of documentation.
- Perform monthly bank reconciliation and prepare reconciliation statements for review by the FMS
- Participate in preparation of periodic progress management reports in accordance with GOU and donor guidelines.
- Offer support in the preparation of annual statutory financial reports and accounts.
- Generating vehicle and telephone usage reports
- Managing NUSAF3 stores functions.
- Perform any other duties as will be assigned from time to time
Key Result Areas:
- Developing financial plans and budgets for the project in consultation with the Principal Accountant;
- Managing disbursement of funds to NUSAF3 sub-projects in liaison with Financial Management Specialist;
- Preparation of Quarterly and annual financial Reports;
- Reporting periodically on financial programme activities;
- Helping the Financial Management Specialist to Ensure internal and external audits are carried out
- Financial Management Handbook to guide project implementation on financial matters is in place by June 2016
- Financial plans and budgets for project activities in conformity with project policies, guidelines and legal agreements are developed on quarterly basis
- A system for monitoring internal controls and reporting of project funds is established by June 2016
- Draft Schedules for disbursement of funds to the districts for approved activities are submitted to FMS within two weeks from receipt of requests by districts
- Draft reports on project financial transactions are submitted to the FMS / NUSAF3 on monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Books of accounts for the project finances are ready for external audit every end of financial year
- Interim un-audited financial reports ( IFRs), including progress reports and procurement plan, which form the basis for disbursement by IDA are ready on a quarterly basis
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the World Bank NUSAF3 Accountant job opportunity should hold a degree in Accounting or Finance, Business Administration with a major in accounts;
- Professional Qualification in Accountancy (CPA or ACCA)
- At least three years of Finance and Accounting experience in public sector and at least two with donor funded project.
- Computer literacy skills i.e. knowledge in the use of Accounting Software Application, (e.g. Oracle Financials, Sun system, Navision Microsoft Office) Knowledge of IFMS is an added advantage.
- Good auditing Skills
- Excellent communication and report writing skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to relate well with a multiplicity of stakeholders.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send cover letters and updated CVs via email only to email@example.com
- Please indicate the Post Title in the Subject line when applying
- Submitted copies should strictly be in PDF and all in one document
- Relevant academic documents will be required at the interview stage.
- Only E-mail applications will be accepted
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Deadline: Friday, 1st July 2016 by 5:00PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline