Job Title: Labour Intensive Public Works Specialist
Organisation: Office of the Prime Minister (OPM)
Project Name: World Bank Third Northern Uganda Social Action Fund (NUSAF3) Project
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Project Operations Specialist
The Government of Uganda has received a credit from the International Development Association/ World Bank towards the cost of the Third Northern Uganda Social Action Fund (NUSAF3) Project. The development objective of NUSAF3 is to provide effective income support to and build the resilience of poor and vulnerable households in Northern Uganda.
Job Summary: The Labour Intensive Public Works Specialist will provide technical guidance in the planning and implementation of Labour intensive public works projects in the communities within the watershed management areas. The incumbent will provide technical support in programs execution under the Improved Household Income Support Component at National, District and Community levels to ensure maximum benefit to the Project beneficiaries.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Regularly review cost estimates of schedules of materials, labor, transport, tools and bill of quantities to ensure correctness and reflection of actual requirements.
- Keenly verify expenditure against physical progress of sub projects.
- Guide in the preparation and revisions of budgets and cost estimates to reflect current needs and prices as well as costing of community inputs.
- Work closely with sector staff in subproject appraisals, monitoring, assessments, inspection and certification to ensure quality of output.
- Keenly monitor progress of on-going subprojects for adherence to sector standards and specification and agreed implementation strategies and project targets.
- Draw up terms of reference to serve as basis for engaging facilitators/consultants who may assist in the supervision of subproject implementation.
- Support communities in engaging lead local artisans or contractors in liaison with the district.
- Regularly review subproject requests submitted by the Districts to ensure accuracy, completeness, viability, sustainability and compliance with relevant sector norms and standards before financing.
Key Result Areas:
- Reviewing of cost estimates of schedules of materials, labour, transport, tools and bill of quantities;
- Verify expenditure against physical progress of sub-projects;
- Monitoring progress of on-going projects;
- Drawing terms of reference for engaging Consultants who may assist in sub-projects;
- Reviewing of sub-project requests submitted by the Districts
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the World Bank NUSAF3 Labour Intensive Public Works Specialist career opportunity should hold a First Degree in any of the following fields: Engineering (Water or Civil), Environment, Forestry, Agriculture, Social Sciences from a reputable University
- Additional training in Labour Intensive Public Works program (LIPWP) and Water shed Based Development (WSBD) are added advantage
- At least eight years’ experience Public Works Program or similar programs in a large public or private organization.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proven high level of integrity in handling public resources and in executing duties.
- Excellent interpersonal and management skills and ability to work with teams
- The applicant must be result-focused and be able to work under pressure and tight deadlines
- Fluent in English.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send cover letters and updated CVs via email only to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please indicate the Post Title in the Subject line when applying
- Submitted copies should strictly be in PDF and all in one document
- Relevant academic documents will be required at the interview stage.
- Only E-mail applications will be accepted
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Deadline: Friday, 1st July 2016 by 5:00PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline