Job Title: Laboratory Information Officer
Organisation: Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Information Technology (IT) Manager
Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI) is one of the constituent research institutions under the Uganda National Health Research Organization (UNHRO). UVRI’s mission is to carry out scientific investigations concerning communicable diseases of public health importance and to advise the Uganda government on strategies for their control and prevention.
About ICAP Project:
Uganda Virus Research Institute has signed a MoU with the International Center for AIDS Care and Treatment Programs (ICAP) of Columbia University to conduct a national Population-based HIV Impact Assessment (PHIA) in Uganda. This survey will provide critical information on the state of the HIV epidemic in Uganda and help shape policies and programs to address the epidemic.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Laboratory Information Officer will develop, maintain and keep up to date Laboratory information systems
- Ensure information security, principles and practices
- Work closely with the IT Manager, to provide a detailed description of the programming logic needed to convert user requirements into application system modules by developers and contractors
- Identify methods for automating data management tasks, including reporting, and incorporate these into views of a data repository and a decision support system
- Work in liaison with UVRI’s Laboratory Informatics Officer to ensure that systems developed meet general application development standards of the Ugandan Government while giving priority to UPHIA systems
- Ensure that all critical requirements for the system are met
- Perform any other duties given by the IT Manager
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Laboratory Information Officer should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Statistics, and Applied Sciences. A Master’s degree or PG diploma, professional certification in relevant fields like: MCSA, MCSE will be an added advantage.
- A minimum of four years of progressively responsible experience in computer information systems for HIV prevention, treatment, care and surveillance systems, data management and application development.
- Previous exposure and experience in both robust desktop application using Visual Basic (VB) and web applications using C#, ASP.NET, PHP Apache and Java Script.
- Prior experience in Database programming & Database management Systems preferably Microsoft SQL server &/or PostgreSQL &/or MySQL
- Broad knowledge of software development methodologies, project and data management is required.
- In-depth knowledge of software development management, and quality assurance.
- Thorough public health knowledge of current HIV/AIDS issues is required.
- Detailed knowledge of the government health care system and structures including familiarity with MOH policies, program priorities and regulations is required.
- Good problem solving, effective communication and advocacy skills.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently with minimum supervision, ability to work under time constraints in order to meet deadlines; ability to set priorities and make decisions on a variety of complex matters.
- Ability to organize, schedule, and coordinate activities and projects with the ability to establish and maintain a cooperative working relationships with teams and partners.
- Demonstrated ability to research and evaluate health information application and information systems software and learn new software and hardware packages in order to adapt to the rapid changes in technology.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications together with copies of academic certificates, transcripts, updated CVs, including names of two work-related referees indicating their contacts with e-mail and phone numbers to the address below;
Uganda Virus Research Institute
P.O. Box 49 Entebbe. Uganda
Or hand deliver to the office Plot 51-59 Nakiwogo Road, Entebbe.
Deadline: Wednesday 8th June 2016 by 5pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline