Job Title: Technical Specialist (IF)
Organization: United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Post Level: SB3
United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF) is the UN’s capital investment agency for the world’s least developed countries. It creates new opportunities for poor people and their communities by increasing access to microfinance and investment capital. UNCDF focuses on Africa and the poorest countries of Asia and the Pacific, with a special commitment to countries emerging from conflict or crisis. It provides seed capital – grants and loans – and technical support to help microfinance institutions reach more poor households and small businesses, and local governments finance the capital investments – water systems, feeder roads, schools, irrigation schemes – that will improve poor peoples’ lives.
Job Summary: The UNCDF Technical Specialist (IF) will have the responsibility for overseeing the range of digital finance work in Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the direct responsibility of the LTS and in close collaboration TS will oversee the implementation of digital finance activities in Uganda. He/she will specifically:
- 80% - Team Leader for MM4P in Uganda. S/he will provide the overall leadership, drive, direction, implementation and management of the MM4P’s DF activities. S/he will manage the DF relationships with DFS stakeholders in country, including partners, the government, the UN system, UNCDF’s funders, FSDU, etc.
- The TS will manage the implementation of the strategy, lead the annual planning, budgeting, monitoring and reporting
- S/he will directly manage (with a team of 3-4) policy & regulatory efforts, results measurement, research & learning, communications and sharing.
- S/he will also oversee the DF Projects Team (5-6 staff and consultants), who are designing and implementing DF projects.
- In addition the TS will provide daily oversight to the small UNCDF operations team (2-3) (reporting to Brussels), which manages local finance, procurement and administration management of office space, equipment and transportation services.
- 10 % - Support the digital finance and innovation work in Uganda. The TS will proactively seeking ways the leverage its projects and partnerships with the Bank of Uganda (BoU), Ministry of Finance, Planning and Development (MoFPED), DFS providers, and other funders to support the Better than Cash Alliance, CleanStart. S/he will help establishing the necessary links across its countries and programmes to empower people thru digital innovations (People+).
- 10% - Act as primary liaison for UNCDF in country and provide corporate support: As the senior most officer in country, the TS will maintain weekly contact with the UNCDF Regional Technical Advisor (based in Ethiopia) for East Africa and support him in representing UNCDF within the UN system in Uganda. the TS will also provide UNCDF corporate support as requested, including fulfilling information requests on Uganda, facilitating contacts, and/or managing high level visits to Uganda, as well as attending key events on behalf of UNCDF in country.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF) Technical Specialist (IF) should a Master’s degree in technology, economics, public/business administration, social sciences, or related discipline or alternatively a minimum of seven years of experience in relevant fields.
- At least seven years’ experience in progressively more responsible positions in the financial services and/or telecommunications field; a minimum of two (2) years’ experience working with digital finance, preferably in Africa region.
- Language Requirements: Fluency in oral and written English.
- Possesses expert knowledge of advanced concepts in to digital financial inclusion, a broad knowledge of related disciplines, as well as an in-depth knowledge of relevant organizational policies and procedures;
- Proven ability to get things done, managing multi-million dollar initiatives for results, preferably in digital finance;
- Ability to lead a team for results, inspiring, leading, monitoring and getting results;
- Knowledge of national payment systems and technical infrastructure of payment and clearing systems;
- Good understanding of legal and regulatory issues related to DF, such as know your customer and bank agency rules;
- Experience working with the mass market, including rural or low income communities, preferably related to financial services;
- Experience managing or conducting research, particularly related to product development or client demand, able to use research to foster change;
- Experience working with an international donor organizations is a plus, but not mandatory;
- Experience in agriculture, education, energy, transport and health sectors is a plus.
- Comfortable managing a project team, with appropriate motivation, delegation and oversight, sets and monitors key performance indicators (KPIs);
- Strong management skills, energizing and organizing small teams or consultants;
- Strong personal skills with key stakeholders, understands how to build strategic partnerships and alliances, build relationships;
- Innovative and thoughtful, proactively identifies, develops and discusses solutions for internal and external clients;
- Results driven and willingness to always improve and innovate;
- Comfortable working in a developing country and within very low income areas;
- Comfortable advocating and advancing an agenda, including with high level counterparts and other stakeholders;
- Positive, constructive attitude and responds and gives constructive feedback.
- Excellent speaking and writing skills in English;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Proven ability to manage projects and teams;
- Strong general IT skills, including ability to work regularly with MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint;
- Proven cross-cultural communication, able to function effectively in an international, multicultural environment and manage a team consisting of multiple nationalities.
- Builds confidence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Demonstrates ethics and integrity;
- Conducts fair and transparent decision making;
- Demonstrates political acumen and calculated risk-taking;
- Builds and promotes teams and partnerships;
- Creates and promotes open communication;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Displays cultural and gender sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all persons fairly without favoritism;
- Shows strong corporate commitment.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF) in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent Click Apply Now.
Deadline: 22nd June 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline