Job Title: Office Assistant
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Reports to: Head of the Sub-Office
Duty Station: Gulu, Uganda
Job ID: 4348
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Office Assistant will provide administrative support the United Nations Office of The High Commissioner for Human Rights in Gulu.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the direct supervision of the Head of the Sub-Office, the Office Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provide receptionist services, including welcoming visitors and directing them to the appropriate staff, as well as responding to phone calls;
- The incumbent will type administrative correspondence, including memos and faxes, as requested by the Head of Sub-Office;
- Record, distribute and file in an efficient registry and filing system all incoming and outgoing correspondence;
- Prepare and submit accountability reports for expenditures such as petty cash, fuel and vehicle usage, military escorts if relevant, seminars and events, and other administrative lines;
- The incumbent will disseminate relevant administrative and substantive documents to international /national staff;
- Receive and format monthly information from field offices for the Head of Sub-Office;
- Ensure proper filing of all documents, both of an administrative and program nature;
- Support the Field Security Advisor in preparing all security authorization and prepare staff travel authorization/claim
- Keep an updated database of OHCHR contacts, including UN, civil society and public authorities;
- Ensure the timely request, delivery and distribution of house-keeping, stationary and office supplies to both the Sub-Office and regional field offices;
- Ensure that all documents awaiting distribution to other offices are dispatched in a timely manner; liaise with UNDSS and other partners to coordinate pick-up and delivery times;
- The incumbent will develop and maintain a weekly schedule of staff/vehicle movements;
- Support staff in the preparation and organisation of programme events/workshops, as required, in particular provide logistical support by liaising with caterers, venue, hotels, material suppliers and printers, etc;
- Perform any other related tasks assigned by the Head of Sub-Office;
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Office Assistant job opportunity should have completed secondary education.
- A minimum of four years of combined progressively responsible experience in related areas, i.e. human resources, general administration, financial administration, and field operations. UN experience in the field and/or headquarters level a distinct advantage.
- Language: Fluency in oral and written English. Fluency in the language of the duty station is highly desirable.
- Professionalism - Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of human rights-related matters; ability to identify problems, i.e., political, ethnic, racial, gender-based, social, economic, etc., causing civil unrest in a country or geographic area; demonstrated research and analytical skills, including the ability to identify and participate in the resolution of relevant issues/problems; basic knowledge of institutional mandates, policies, guidelines, etc., related to human rights; skill in developing sources for data collection.
- Planning and Organizing - Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor own work plan; Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given;
- Communication - Ability to speak and write in a clear and concise manner, including ability to draft a variety of reports, correspondence, etc.; Technological Awareness - Good computer skills, including proficiency in word processing, excel, spreadsheets, other and relevant software packages;
- Teamwork - Good interpersonal skills; ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent Click Apply Now.
Deadline: 27th June 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline