Job Title: Office Assistant
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Reports to: Head/Deputy of OHCHR
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Job ID: 4349
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Office Assistant will provide administrative support the United Nations Office of The High Commissioner for Human Rights in Kampala.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Head/Deputy of OHCHR, the Management Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- In charge of drafting correspondence for Management as requested;
- Responsible for monitoring and alerting on deadlines for submission of required documentation;
- Offering support to the Team Leaders and Desk Officers in preparing and finalizing documents,
- Supporting in the preparations for missions of the Head Of Office/Deputy Head of Office providing dossiers, official authorizations and clearances, bookings, as well as processing travel claims upon return from travel;
- The incumbent will be serving as final check for timeliness and quality control of all communications and documents to be signed by the Head/Deputy Head of Office;
- Coordinate and prepare internal and external meetings for the Head of Office/Deputy Head of Office, handling all necessary arrangements - establishing and maintaining the Chief’s ongoing calendar;
- In charge of maintaining and organizing the filing system for Management: Record, distribute and file in Record, distribute and file in an efficient registry and filing system all incoming and outgoing correspondence
- Offer administrative support and compile pending administrative issues for the attention of the Head and Deputy Head of Office.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Office Assistant job opportunity should have completed secondary education. Possession of a University degree in Humanities, Social Science or other related areas will be an added advantage.
- A minimum of four years of combined progressively responsible experience in related area of work.
- Language: Fluency in oral and written English.
- Professionalism - Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of human rights-related matters; ability to identify problems, i.e., political, ethnic, racial, gender-based, social, economic, etc., causing civil unrest in a country or geographic area; demonstrated research and analytical skills, including the ability to identify and participate in the resolution of relevant issues/problems; basic knowledge of institutional mandates, policies, guidelines, etc., related to human rights; skill in developing sources for data collection.
- Planning and Organizing - Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor own work plan; Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given;
- Communication - Ability to speak and write in a clear and concise manner, including ability to draft a variety of reports, correspondence, etc.; Technological Awareness - Good computer skills, including proficiency in word processing, excel, spreadsheets, other and relevant software packages;
- Teamwork - Good interpersonal skills; ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent Click Apply Now.
Deadline: 28th June 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline