Organization: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Post Level: P4
Reports to: Country Director (CD)
Job ID: 4321
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nation’s global development network. UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. The UNDP provides expert advice, training, grant support to developing countries including Uganda with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
Job Summary: The Coordinator of the Sustainable and Inclusive Economic Development Portfolio serves as the technical manager of the Portfolio and advisor to Senior Management on all aspects of SIED and related fields, including the programmes for Inclusive and Green Growth (IGG) and Climate Change Response & Disaster Risk Reduction (CCR-DRR). The main responsibilities of the SIED Coordinator is to promote coherence in actions within UNDP and among partners in sectors contributing to SIED through: (a) enhanced collaboration and institutional linkages among key partners; (b) increased access, by government and partners, to needed technical (expertise), technological and operational resources to lead, plan, innovate and achieve SIED-targeted sustainable transformational results; and (c) improved availability of relevant data from programme monitoring systems, research and evaluations to enable the production of quality and timely reports on progress towards (SDGs). The SIED Coordinator technically leads the two SIED result areas supported by UNDP – namely, the Inclusive & Green Growth programme (IGG) and the Climate Change Response and Disaster Risk Reduction (CCR-DRR) programme - in strategic planning and, promote innovation while ensuring consistency with UNDAF/CPD priorities and creative responses to emerging challenges and opportunities. The Coordinator also technically leads the SIED teams and works in close collaboration with the Management Support, Operations team in the CO, Programme staff in other relevant UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society to successfully implement the UNDP SIED portfolio programme.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Ensuring continuous Coherence in the SIED to enable maximum Impact on poverty and inequality reduction as well as acceleration and sustaining of progress towards related NDP II and SDG targets and goals:
- Ensure the Programme is implemented under the Delivering as One modality, based on international standards related to human rights, gender equality and Environmental Sustainability – with special emphasis on eliminating extreme poverty and reducing inequalities – and focus on women, youth and other vulnerable groups;
- The incumbent will provide overall direction and leadership within UN SIED pillar Result Groups and UNDP’s SIED programmes while ensuring adequate coordination of activities and leveraging resources and synergies to accelerate and sustain progress towards the following global commitments:
- SDG 5: No Poverty;
- SDG7: Affordable and Clean Energy;
- SDG 8: Decent Work and Economic Growth;
- SDG 10: Reduced Inequalities;
- SDG 12: Responsible Consumption;
- SDG 13: Climate Action; and
- SDG 17: Partnership for the Goals.
- Work closely with relevant UN agencies and partners to strengthen/promote government’s ownership, leadership and investment in SIED-related sectors and optimize the use of aid and national resources through good planning and coordination of SIED-related activities by UN, donors, state and non-state actors;
Building institutional Linkages among partners working in SIED-related sectors to ensure adequate complementarities, synergies and elimination of duplications:
- Ensure leadership, within UNDP and UNCT, over UNDAF SIED Pillar Programme planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, including preparation – in consultation with programme partners (GoU, Donors, CSOs and private sector) - of a joint work plan and related SDG-focused periodic progress reports;
- Collaborate closely with the UNDP IG Coordinator and relevant UN agencies’ focal points to continuously promote, monitor coherence, complementarities and synergies between UNDAF/UNCT programmes on Inclusive Governance (IG), Human Capital Development (HCD) and Sustainable & Inclusive Economic Development (SIED) and their impact on acceleration of progress towards NDP II and SDG Targets.
- Work closely with the IG Coordinator in organizing trainings for the operations/projects staff on programme.
Ensuring availability of high-level Expertise within UNDP and implementing partners to drive innovations and knowledge building:
- Actively promote innovation through South-South and Triangular learning, strategic and context-tailored research and joint programme evaluations;
- Collaborate with the IG Coordinator in planning capacity building activities in UNDP CO to ensure smooth transition from micro-project implementation to strategic and context-appropriate upstream support to government and partners.
Ensuring Access by the government to required resources to lead, own and sustain efforts to meet SIED-defined goals:
- Build and maintain strategic partnership and support GoU to access to resources for development, including: expertise, technology, know-how, South-South experiences and cooperation and catalytic financial means; and
- Provide quality technical, operational and financial support to the processes of identifying relevant opportunities for South-South Cooperation, mission planning, documentation and provision of feedback to decision-makers and partners and follow-up of actions on recommendation.
Ensuring timely and quality Reporting on progress towards SIED programme goals and related SDGs:
- Actively promote and support coordination by GoU of data generation and use of system-generated data, including relevant and accessible Big Data, in tracking progress towards SIED targets and goals.
- Work closely with relevant Regional and HQ units to ensure timely technical inputs to data generation and progress reporting processes through sharing of relevant international best practices;
- Lead and coordinate UNDP/UNCT reporting on SIED programme with emphasis on clear establishment of linkages with and impact on other UN-supported programme (IG and HCD)
- Ensure quality, adequate depth and timeliness of SIED-related SDG progress reporting.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant for the United Nations UNDP Coordinator of the Sustainable and Inclusive Economic Development Portfolio career placement should possess at five to seven years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management and policy advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments, civil society and local communities.
- Previous exposure and experience in coordinating and maintain synergy with development partners and the UN system.
- Significant experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Core Values and Corporate Competencies:
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Shows strong corporate commitment, works to achieve goals of UNDP as a whole and makes contributions to priorities led by other country offices, regional centres and bureau
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Ability to promote knowledge generation and management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- Ability to continually facilitate the evaluation of learning, knowledge building and sharing, in the local and global communities including knowledge sharing, participates in knowledge reuse and provide feedback around community improvements
- Ability to work towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to engage with high ranking UNDP Managers, Government Officials and International Donor Community and provide policy
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting; full project cycle mastery, excellent work/project planning skills, mastery of UNDP’s programmes
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
- Ability to formulate and mange budgets, mange contributions and investments, mange transactions, conduct financial analysis reporting and cost-recovery
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Leads, mentors, coaches, encourages and motivates teams effectively, inspires confidence
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the United Nations Development Programme, UNDP, in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent Click Apply Now.
Deadline: 24th June 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline