Organisation: PEAS (Promoting Equality in African Schools)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Country Director
Promoting Equality in African Schools (PEAS) is a UK based charity/social enterprise with a mission to ‘expand access to sustainably delivered, quality secondary education across Africa.’ PEAS establishes and operates low-cost secondary schools in Uganda and Zambia in areas where access to quality secondary education is limited due to cost and geographical barriers. PEAS’ interventions are built upon 3 pillars of education impact; Access, Quality and Sustainability. Since opening its first schools in 2008, the PEAS network has grown to 30 schools, and we are currently educating over 13,000 students. What’s more, external evaluations have proven that although PEAS students come from poorer backgrounds and begin secondary school academically behind their peers in other similar schools, they are able make significantly more academic progress by studying in PEAS schools.
Job Summary: The Deputy Country Director of Operations will be responsible for delivering organisation wide results on a day-to-day basis. The incumbent will take charge of an organization-wide ‘value for money’ approach, driving efficiencies and effectiveness both at the schools and support office levels with a strong focus on sustainability. They will be responsible for Finance, Operations and Human Resource leadership and delivery in PEAS Uganda. In particular, the incumbent will oversee the development and implementation of PEAS ‘financial and operational management strategy’ which will involve policy and guidelines development across these broad functions. This work will facilitate and support organisation wide culture strengthening and programme implementation thereby contributing to the achievement of organisational strategic objectives.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a Business or Accounting degree is strongly preferred as a minimum.
- At least five years of senior management and leadership experience in an operational and financial capacity – including managing departments of professionals with high levels of technical expertise and managing through others to deliver organisational improvements.
- Previous exposure and experience in creating organisation wide policies across finance, operations, and HR, together with overseeing operational adherence.
- Prior experience in utilising sound leadership and management skills to ensure key deliverables are achieved on an individual, departmental and organisation wide basis.
- Previous experience in budget setting, cash flow management and monthly management accounts reporting, together with overall management of financial systems and processes.
- Ability to work well under pressure and deliver work with high levels of accuracy to tight deadlines across a range of internal and external stakeholders while balancing competing demands.
- Working knowledge and experience of financial regulatory requirements including taxation, the financial year end process, the creation of statutory accounts and liaising with external auditors and other stakeholders to ensure regulatory requirements are met.
- Able to make high quality business decisions on a timely basis that ensure the effective and efficient functioning of the organisation and ‘value for money’ for PEAS.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent English communication skills (both oral and written)
- Excellent IT skills (i.e. Word, Outlook, Excel etc).
- Problem solving and thinking strategically: Able to get things done by focusing on solutions as opposed to problems and able to see the big picture while demonstrating excellent attention to detail.
- Great people skills: Able to work effectively with staff of all levels.
- Values driven: Demonstrates PEAS values of effective, empowering, enduring, genuine & collaborative.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send a cover letter (paying particular attention to the person specification) and curriculum vitae to email@example.com
Please include all portions of your application in one attached document as a PDF document, and use PEAS Deputy Country Director–Finance and Operations as the subject of your email.
NB: Only complete applications will be reviewed and only qualified candidates will be shortlisted and contacted.
Deadline: 6th July 2016 by 5:oo PM EAT
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline