Job Title: Technical Expert Business Development
Organisation: Agricultural Business Initiative (aBi)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Chief Operations Officer aBi Trust
Job Ref No: TECH
The Agricultural Business Initiative (aBi), a group of registered companies namely aBi Trust and aBi Finance Ltd, is a multi-stakeholder entity co-founded in July 2010 by the Governments of Uganda and Denmark through DANIDA and the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development respectively, with the objective to promote “Private sector agribusiness development to enhance wealth creation.” The development objective of the aBi Trust is building a self-sustaining export-led economy in which the benefits are shared by all Ugandans, and its immediate objective is to strengthen the competitiveness of Uganda’s agricultural and agro-processing sector. It does this through Value Chain Development (VCD) of six value chains (Coffee, Cereals, Pulses, Horticulture, Dairy and Oil Seeds) and Financial Services Development (FSD).
aBi Finance Ltd is the investment arm of aBi that aims to enable the Trust to meet its programme activities in a sustainable manner by offering financing for agribusiness development through Lines of Credit, Agribusiness Loan Guarantees and the Construction Guarantees Fund.
Job Summary: The Technical Expert Business Development will be responsible for leading aBi in understanding and implementing best practice in Business Development; ensuring that aBi continuously develops new and more effective approaches to have a positive impact on sustainable growth of the agricultural sector in Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Contribute to the development and implementation of aBi’s strategic and operational plans; ensuring that emerging understanding of best practise in Business Development is incorporated:
- Take lead of the team in understanding Business Development in Uganda’s agricultural sector, by regularly reviewing and performing analysis on market trends; researching relevant fields in order to identify constraints and interventions that will have a positive impact.
- Actively participate in strategy and policy development; ensuring that insights relevant to Business Development are incorporated in the design.
- Support the Business Development Manager Financial Institutions, Head of Portfolio Development and Project Managers in the design of projects that will boost the impact, profitability and sustainability of implementing partners.
- Support the COO aBi Finance with the development and management of the budget.
- Report and/or contribute to reports on status of implementation of various operational and strategic plans as assignedd.
- Actively participate in operationalizing the relevant areas of risk management framework and Identify key risks on planned interventions and implement mitigating actions.
2. Act as aBi’s expert in Business Development; building the capacity of staff and implementing partners to understand and follow best practise in Business Development:
- Proactively keep abreast of best practise in Business Development; e.g. through professional development, research, participation in learning networks, and collaborations with research institutes etc.
- Guide aBi management on engagement and deployment of expertise in Business Development.
- Proactively share best practise in Business Development including advising on business sustainability & growth strategies, with colleagues within the PQL department, other aBi staff and stakeholders e.g. by sharing learning, giving advice on related fields etc.
- Build the capacity of staff and implementing partners in Business Development; including developing and running appropriate training programs, providing advice and consultancy support etc.
- Actively participate in and convene forums on Business Development to share/acquire knowledge in this sector for the benefit of aBi and its stakeholders.
- Plan the detail of aBi’s capacity building interventions.
3. As requested by the COO aBi Finance to act as a member of Matrix Teams; contributing Business Development elements to project/intervention design and implementation:
- Develop approaches and tools that will support members of project teams and implementing partners to operate according to best practise in Business Development.
- Support project teams and Business Development Manager FI with Business Development components of implementation of developed plan.
- Ensure that the Business Development components of the project are rolled out on time and to standard; including supervising the work of any Business Development consultants who have been deployed.
- Supervise the roll out of other areas of technical expertise and/or the implementation of cross cutting themes as requested by Technical Team leader.
4. Contribute to the development of aBi’s Communication Plan, playing a part in implementing the plan according to availability: Including but not limited to areas pertaining to Business Development:
- The jobholder will develop the Business Development aspects of the influencing, advocacy and communications plan.
- Roll-out the Business Development aspects of the communications plan in line with approved guidelines; so that aBi is recognised as a respected voice.
- Build influential relationships with key Business Development stakeholders; represent aBi to key stakeholders, behaving professionally and with integrity at all times.
- Actively participate in the development of communications materials as requested by the Communications Manager.
- Make relevant presentations at conferences and produce publications as opportunities arise.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Technical Expert Business Development job opportunity should hold an MBA / Masters in Finance, Accounting or Economics or in any relevant technical area
- The applicant must also hold a degree in either Business Administration, Economics, Accounting, Commerce and Agribusiness or a relevant professional qualification.
- PGD – Project Management (added advantage)
- A minimum of seven years relevant experience in Private Sector/ Agribusiness/Agriculture Development.
- Proven experience and expertise in the provision of Business Development Services
- Knowledge of risk management.
- Possession of financial analytical skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Knowledgeable about business finance and portfolio development.
- Demonstrated experience in providing technical assistance / advisory services to Implementing Partners.
- Ability to advise private sector or Business Development Partners using market systems/ solutions approach.
- Familiarity of usage of databases and Microsoft Office.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should apply online by clicking on link below and following the instructions.
Deadline: 8th July 2016 by 12:00pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline