Job Title: Senior Legal Officer - Law Reform
Organization: Uganda Law Reform Commission
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Principal Legal Officer
The Uganda Law Reform Commission is established under Article 248(1) of the Constitution of the Republic of Uganda. Its primary mandate is to study and keep under constant review the Acts and all other laws comprising the laws of Uganda with a view to making recommendations for their systematic improvement, development, modernisation and reform.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In charge of implementing research projects of the Commission.
- Conducting research, participation in data analysis and report writing.
- Ensuring effective and efficient legal research and law reform.
- Assisting in formulating policy on specific areas for law reform.
- Responsible for participating in analysis and review of policies and laws.
- In charge of drafting legislative proposals.
- Responsible for preparing research proposals for consideration by the Commission.
- Preparing of workplans and budgets for projects.
- Simplifying and translating of laws.
- Supervising of staff.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned to him/her by his/her supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Senior Legal Officer - Law Reform job placement should be a Ugandan who holds an honours degree in law from a recognized University and a diploma in legal practice from Law Development Centre. Possession of any other relevant postgraduate training will be an added advantage.
- At least three years’ experience at the level of legal officer or its equivalent in government or a reputable organization;
- Working knowledge in basic computer applications.
- Prior legal research experience is desirable.
- Previous experience in project planning and management is desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to handle a multi-disciplinary team.
- Age: 25 years and above
How to Apply:
All qualified Ugandans should send their applications with fully certified photocopies of their testimonials and an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV), recent passport size photographs filled in triplicate to:
The Commission Secretary,
Uganda Law Reform Commission,
8th floor, Workers’ House,
P.O. Box 12149, Kampala, Uganda.
Deadline: 13th June 2016 by 5.00pm
NB: Serving Government officers are encouraged to route applications through their Supervisors and Heads of Department.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline