Job Title: Project Manager - Agribusiness
Organisation: Agricultural Business Initiative (aBi)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Portfolio Development
Job Ref No: PM001
The Agricultural Business Initiative (aBi), a group of registered companies namely aBi Trust and aBi Finance Ltd, is a multi-stakeholder entity co-founded in July 2010 by the Governments of Uganda and Denmark through DANIDA and the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development respectively, with the objective to promote “Private sector agribusiness development to enhance wealth creation.” The development objective of the aBi Trust is building a self-sustaining export-led economy in which the benefits are shared by all Ugandans, and its immediate objective is to strengthen the competitiveness of Uganda’s agricultural and agro-processing sector. It does this through Value Chain Development (VCD) of six value chains (Coffee, Cereals, Pulses, Horticulture, Dairy and Oil Seeds) and Financial Services Development (FSD).
aBi Finance Ltd is the investment arm of aBi that aims to enable the Trust to meet its programme activities in a sustainable manner by offering financing for agribusiness development through Lines of Credit, Agribusiness Loan Guarantees and the Construction Guarantees Fund.
Job Summary: The Project Manager – Agribusiness will serve as aBi’s prime representative within Agribusiness sector; the role is responsible for relationship management and for ensuring that projects deliver against the goals and targets laid out in the results management framework.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. As requested by the Head of Portfolio Development to work participatively with implementing partners in order to develop a comprehensive portfolio of influential projects
- Take the initiative to develop strong relationships with implementing partners; acting as the point person for aBi’s activities with Agribusiness partners.
- Offer support to partners in the development of ideas for projects and completing the relevant paperwork.
- In accordance with aBi’s Funding Manual, manage the entirety of the funding process for each project; includes convening the due diligence team with relevant technical experts and Evaluations, Performance & Results team members included.
- Work closely with BDS Providers to ensure that applicants and grantees are fully empowered to implement their projects.
- Plan the detail of aBi’s capacity building interventions.
- Budget expenditure and ensure cost effective utilisation of resources.
2. Develop and implement strategies and plans that will build the capacity of Agribusinesses to have a sustainable impact on the profitability of the sector:
- The incumbent will develop and implement strategies and plans that will build the capacity of Agribusinesses to have a sustainable impact on the profitability of the sector.
- Proactively propose strategies and plans that will enable aBi to have a positive impact on Agribusiness; implement plans once they are approved by the Head of Portfolio Development.
3. Manage the implementation of projects, ensuring that the desired results, and final impact, are achieved on time and to standard:
- Proactively build relationships with each implementing partner (IP), ensuring their satisfaction with each stage of the project.
- Work closely with M&E to ensure a comprehensive results management framework is in place and implemented for each project.
- Work with implementing partners to assist them in implementing their projects according to the project plan; drawing in relevant aBi staff and consultants to provide assistance if required.
- Ensure that grants are provided in a timely fashion and that the implementing partner is meeting accountability requirements.
- Ensuring that the technical capacity building components of the project are being delivered on time and to standard.
4. Participate in rolling out the partner-facing aspects of the communications plan:
- Act as a spokesperson for aBi in the convening role by participating in, or initiating forums.
- Take personal responsibility for influencing, advocacy and communication according to personal interest and priorities; so that aBi is recognised as a respected partner.
- Ensure that the Project teams deliver any components of the communications strategy and plan that are allocated to them.
- Actively participate in the development of communications materials as requested by the Communications Manager.
5. Lead the matrix managed Project teams, in a manner that empowers them to deliver aBi’s goals and objectives:
- Work in liaison with the Head of Portfolio Development to constitute a team of competent staff and consultants to deliver against the work plan and goals for each project.
- Ensure that each team member is provided with clarity concerning the goals of each project and expectations for their personal role in achieving results, standards and behaviour.
- Plan and organise the work of the team so as to accomplish project goals and targets in the most cost effective manner possible.
- Support and build the capacity of team members to enable them to give of their best e.g. by encouraging and praising good performance, coaching, training, assisting staff to prevent or resolve problems, providing resources, tools and equipment.
- Regularly monitor and review performance and, in particular, hold team members accountable for achieving results and meeting standards; taking decisive action in the case of poor performance.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Project Manager – Agribusiness career opportunity should hold a Masters in Agriculture Economics, or Development Economics or Social Science
- The applicant must also hold a Bachelors Agriculture Economics/ Development Economics/ Social Science
- Possession of a Post Graduate Diploma - Project Management added advantage
- A minimum of seven years of post-graduate experience in Business Development Organisations.
- Working knowledge and understanding of agribusiness management.
- Demonstrable skills and abilities in grant systems development and implementation.
- Proven experience in proposal writing.
- Proven experience in developing sustainable strategic relationships including networking.
- Ability to work to deadlines.
- Manage and engage teams for delivery of results.
- Strong Communication Skills (Oral and Written).
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should apply online by clicking on link below and following the instructions.
Deadline: 8th July 2016 by 12:00pm