Job Title: Program Officer
Organisation: Mercy Corps
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Agri-Fin Mobile Uganda Country Coordinator
Mercy Corps is an international non-profit organization which implements high-quality, analytical development programmes in very difficult places. Mercy Corps has been operating in Uganda since 2006. It has and continues to implement programs in Acholi and Karamoja sub regions. Mercy Corps is taking a community-led, market driven approach to address poverty and food insecurity needs through interventions that get to the root causes and contributing factors of economic vulnerability. Donors include the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the European Commission (EC), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Swiss Development Cooperation (SDC).
About G4AW-MUIIS Program:
The G4AW-MUIIS is a consortium of partners in the agriculture industry who are looking to develop a low cost offering of bundled mobile services and crop insurance to agriculture smallholder farmers in Uganda. The project will reach over 350,000 soy bean, maize or sesame farmers. The goal of the project is to increase crop yields by 25% and increase farmer incomes by 20%. The G4AW-MUISS consortium is being led by The Technical Centre for Agriculture and Rural Cooperation (CTA) based in the Netherlands. The consortium consists of seven partners are all working in the agriculture sector. Mercy Corps Uganda is the key local implementing partner.
Job Summary: The Mercy Corps Program Officer will mainly be responsible for providing overall oversight and administration for the G4AW-MUISS program. The incumbent will serve as the focal person for ensuring all elements of the program are executed, while ensuring compliance to Mercy Corps systems.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and monitor the implementation of the G4AW-MUIIS program especially with regard to the Mercy Corps program deliverables and business model development.
- Work collaboratively with consortium partner in profiling and mapping a sample representation of 350,000 farmers using survey application and real-time data.
- Collaborate with consortium partner in defining and collecting baseline data for farmers’ impact assessment;
- Carry out field assessments to better understand local end-user preferences for receiving agricultural information.
- Work in liaison with Mercy Corps Uganda partners customizing software for G4AW-MUISS program needs.
- Work with the AgriFin Mobile Director and Uganda Country Coordinator to develop and execute a program impact assessment.
- Actively liaise and work to maximize program synergies with Mercy Corps Uganda field programming and management teams;
- Assist in writing, editing, assembling, and submitting final funding proposals and reports;
- Prepare and submit reports on M&E findings, working closely with technical staff and implementing partners;
- Respond to internal & external requests for information on program activities through verbal and written communication in coordination with AgriFin Mobile Director and Country Coordinator;
- Understand donor and Mercy Corps policies, procedures, rules and regulations to assist in monitoring and ensuring compliance.
- Actively participate in Agri-Fin Mobile program activities.
- Represent Mercy Corps at public and media events when requested
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Mercy Corps Program Officer should preferably hold a Bachelor’s Degree in business, agribusiness, economic development or other relevant field required.
- At least four years of practical experience in the private sector, business, market/economic development and/or related industry.
- Proven exposure and experience in the private sector and with private sector engagement and development;
- Previous experience in private sector business development services a plus.
- Previous experience with market facilitation, supporting systemic change and promoting supporting services indirectly.
- Highly motivated and motivating individual who can lead teams, SMEs and partners
- Knowledge of agricultural sectors highly desirable.
- Excellent (English) verbal and written communication skills with proven financial management skills.
- Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of office applications.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated flexibility, creativity and enthusiasm as well as a willingness to learn and to be continually adaptive within a dynamic and often self-directed working environment mandatory.
- Willingness to spend much time in the field and work closely with program target groups.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their E-mail applications including a cover letter clearly stating the salary requirements, updated CV (with three professional referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates to the Human Resource Manager, Kampala Head Office on 4th Floor Embassy Plaza, Plot 1188-1190 Ggaba Road. The E-mail applications with cover letter should be sent to: email@example.com
Deadline: 27th June 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline