Job Title: Program Officer ECD/Health
Organization: Aga Khan Foundation (AKF)
Duty Station: Uganda
Aga Khan Foundation through its partner agency, Madrasa Early Childhood Development Program, Uganda (MECPU) aims to provide quality community-based, culturally relevant, affordable and pluralistic EGD services to underprivileged communities in rural and urban areas. Core programming objectives include training ECD teachers using the Science of ECD training package, supporting children in transitioning successfully from home to preschool and into primary schools, and creating a society in which all children are active, healthy, knowledgeable and happy MECPU operates in parts of Central and West Nile regions of Uganda and has so far supported ECD policy development and implementation as well as community-based practice since 1993. MECPU is a key player in promoting integrated ECD in Uganda and its contributions so far have been recognised by Government, international development partners, CSOs and communities.
Job Summary: The Program Officer ECD/Health-MECPU will provide continuous program support in the implementation and successful delivery of the ECD integrated Programme in Koboko District. The incumbent will provide continuous program support in line with Program set out goals and objectives. For the next three years, MECPU will focus extensively on working with the District Health Departments to train Health Workers at village and Health Centre level in the Care for Child Development (CCD) model, supporting communities to access health facilities and information, and supporting preschools to provide a safer, healthier teaching and learning environment. In addition, MECPU aims at increasing coordination between preschools, health facilities, and the home to improve the health and nutritional status of boys and girls aged 0-6. Under the intervention MECP will work with health centre management and caregivers and focus upon a common understanding of the importance of play and stimulation in early children's development.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Carry out a training including mentoring of a selected team of Master Trainers on care for child development model.
- The incumbent will increase sensitization of the receiving district on their role of delivering integrated ECD program in the district.
- Build and strengthen linkages of ECD centres and households with the nearest health facility for health services.
- Work in liaison with the district to identify key influencers/ stakeholders involve them in the intervention.
- Ensure monthly progress, quarterly review meetings and quarterly monitoring visits are conducted to ensure implementation is on track according activity plans and reports provided to key stakeholders on the targets in log frames.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold a diploma in Nursing - Training in public health will be an added advantage.
- Extensive experience and knowledge of Child Care and Development, especially maternal and neonatal health.
- Previous experience of working with communities in the field of health.
- Proven skills in developing and running training sessions
- Communication skills (both oral and written) as well as analytical skills.
- Ability to communicate in Kakwa language is an added advantage
- The applicant should be highly dynamic, persuasive and convincing, self- motivated and able to demonstrate high initiative.
- Evidence of ability to provide effective support to local volunteers
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should send a cover letter, updated CVs and names and contact information of three professional referees with “Position applied for” in the subject line addressed to the Program Director, MECPU via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or hand deliver to MECPU offices located on Plot 278 Sir Albert Cook Road in Mengo (Adjacent to the premises that are opposite the Masengere Building that is within the Bulange precincts).
Deadline: 1st July 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline