Organisation: Amref Health Africa
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Country Director
Amref Health Africa is an international African organization founded in Kenya in 1957. Our Headquarters are in Nairobi with major programmes in Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda, and two regional hubs in Southern and Western Africa based in South Africa and Senegal respectively. Working with and through African communities, health systems and governments, Amref Health Africa aims to close the gap that prevents people from accessing their basic right to health. Amref Health Africa is committed to improving the health of people in Africa by partnering with and empowering communities. Our Vision is Lasting Health Change in Africa.
Job Summary: The Program Manager, Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescents Health RMNCAH will lead a team of professionals to implement the integrated health program in the districts of support. The incumbent will work with the team of technical advisors in various program areas to de technical guidance to the team on MNCH, FP and nutrition in implementing the regional health integrated program. The person will provide technical leadership and oversight in the development, and implementation of RMNCAH, and Family Planning activities. The incumbent will work closely with Deputy Country Director, Senior Management Team and Program Management Team to ensure technical quality of the intervention design and implementation. The jobholder will also ensure the technical and methodological soundness of activities and, in collaboration with the project team and partners, support the design of service delivery strategies, j based on sound and current scientific evidence. The incumbent i mentors and supervises a team of Project Managers.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leadership: Provide overall credible leadership to the programme, providing clear vision, and inspiring confidence and team spirit among programme staff.
- Quality & Performance:
- Provide targeted technical assistance 1 to projects through field visits and other methods to foster continuous improvement in quality& both programmatic and financial performance (will spend 50% of time in field based technical assistance);
- Ensure projects are aligned with and contribute to Amref Health Africa In Uganda Business Plan and National strategies, policies, operational guidelines, and protocols, as applicable;
- Quality assure all operational plans for projects to ensure they are realistic;
- Identify underperforming individuals and work with HR Manager to ensure they are put on performance improvement, plans and supported;
- Conducting periodic and annual performance appraisals and provide on-going performance monitoring and feedback.
- Administrative & Financial Oversight:
- Facilitate time, procurement of goods and services for projects;
- Ensure projects being supervised submit annual and quarterly procurement plans in accordance with budgets and donor/Amref Health Africa In Uganda procurement rules and regulations;
- Regularly review operational budgets in conjunction with project teams, programme accountant, and the Finance Manager to ensure value for money;
- Offer support to project teams in reviewing operations financial performance against set targets, and implementation of remedial actions;
- Budget monitoring to ensure expenditure in line with set budgets and in n accordance with donor and Amref Health Africa In Uganda financial rules and regulations;
- Forecast programme growth and review of budgets during proposal development.
- Monitoring & Evaluation:
- Provide oversight for all donor reports, evaluation reports, and other reports emanating from the programme and projects to ensure timeliness and quality
- Provide leadership in quarterly programme review meetings aimed at identifying and remedying performance gaps, as well as disseminating relevant information e.g. new government policies etc.; and In liaison with the M & E unit, provide administrative support to projects to develop and implement M & E plans;
- Knowledge Management:
- Provide leadership in the documentation of best practice models in the programme, working with relevant departments within Amref Health Africa in Uganda;
- Effectively manage dissemination of information on relevant government and international policies, and other relevant information to staff:
- Create environment for learning across projects within the programme, and across programmes e.g. through inter-project exchange visits.
- Programme Development:
- Provide leadership in development of new project proposals, drawing necessary support from the RABD Unit and other units, and fostering team spirit in programme development
- Facilitate integration between projects and programmes.
- Operations Research: Provide leadership in the identification, development and implementation of relevant operations research within the programme RABD Unit.
- Policy Advocacy: Provide leadership in identification of relevant policy issues in the programme and supporting policy advocacy action/process, in liaison with the RABD Unit.
- Networking & Relations Management:
- Participate in relevant technical working groups and committees primarily at national level, provide feedback and develop networks needed to support Amref Health Africa in Uganda Health Africa in Uganda deliver on planned results;
- Manage internal (with other programme managers) and external relations with donors, partners, and collaborators that are stakeholders in the programme.
- Coordinate participation of staff in programme in relevant technical working groups and platform ensuing that participation generates value for Amref Health Africa In Uganda;
- Participate in SMT: Actively participate in the SMT and PTC, and adhere to the duties enshrined there in and regularly update SMT on challenges requiring SMT and PTC action or decisions.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Program Manager, Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescents Health RMNCAH should preferably hold a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery degree with master's degree in Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Public Health, or related field.
- The applicant should have a minimum of eight (8) years’ experience with demonstrable technical skills in a technical advisory role in RMNCAH services.
- Proven ability to build capacity through formal and informal training, coaching, mentoring, and ongoing professional development in maternal, new born and child health, family planning and nutrition.
- Significant experience in managing quality improvement interventions and technical/institutional capacity building programs primarily through a technical assistance approach.
- Significant exposure and experience in leading project activities in implementation and proven ability to advise project management motivate and mentor staff at key positions to create a positive team environment.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the Ugandan health care system, particularly the public health system (district health services) and good knowledge of the community support structures.
- Excellent oral and written communication, presentations and report writing skills in English. Strong skills in word processing and Excel spread sheets.
- Critical Skills: Leadership and management skills; Project Management; Finance Management; People Management; Proposal Writing/ Development; Report Writing, editing and reviewing skills; Analytical and problem solving skills; Networking and advocacy; Monitoring and evaluation; and Research skills.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send an updated CV including three work related referees and cover letter addressed to the Human Resources Manager, Amref Health Africa in Uganda via E-mail to email@example.com. Emails should not exceed 2MB.
Deadline: Friday, 1st July 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline