Organization: AVSI Foundation
Project Name: Skilling Youths for Employment in Agribusiness (SKY) Programme
Funding Source: Royal Dutch Embassy
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Chief of Party (CoP)
AVSI Foundation is an international not-for-profit, non-governmental organization (NGO) founded in Italy in 1972. Its mission is to promote the dignity of the person through development cooperation activities, with special attention to education, according to the social teaching of the Catholic Church. AVSI has been present in Uganda since 1984, first supporting hospitals and agriculture projects in Gulu and Kitgum districts, and later expanding around 1990 to establish the present-day headquarters in Kampala, offices in Pader, Gulu and Kitgum, and project activities in 12 other districts.
About SKY Programme:
AVSI is implementing a 5 year project titled “Skilling Youths for Employment in Agribusiness (SKY)” which is funded by the Royal Dutch Embassy in Uganda. The goal of the project is to enhance sustainable creation of employment of youths in the agribusiness sector.
Job Summary: The Private Sector Development Specialist (PSDS) will be responsible for the Private Sector engagement of the project in all the farming zones (Western, Eastern and Central Uganda) and advise the team accordingly.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offer support to the team to ensure it attains project goals and objectives by providing technical advice when appropriate and as requested by the Chief of Party.
- Support the team in the day-to-day planning, design and operations of project.
- Prepare and/or assist in the preparation of reports and documents to donor, national governments, AVSI headquarters and other partner organizations.
- Work closely with subcontractors and private sector actors in the region to provide technical and organizational assistance in the implementation of SKY project.
- Offer technical guidance to leads in the fanning zones including youth in agribusiness, agriculture productivity, enterprise development, finance and investment, and youth employment.
- Successfully engage private sector partners to commit to provide resources and expertise to support project implementation.
- Prepare and submit effective written reports and oral presentations on the program, including preparing periodic reports, updating on developmental challenges facing the program, and articulating the program’s success in meeting deliverables.
- Provide technical back stopping to skills providers and project staff in private sector engagement as needs arise.
- Influence agribusinesses to create internship opportunities for youths.
- Develop a Public-Private Partnership framework for developing agribusiness investments to promote the agricultural value chains with priority in youth employment, including appropriate modalities for incentives and concessions with the private sector.
- Organize agricultural investment forums in the farming zones to attract private sector investments to promote agricultural businesses and market development to support accelerated agribusiness development that helps diversify incomes, and create jobs for the youths.
- Work closely with the stakeholders on all agri-business and investment opportunities to support accelerated investments that promote youth employment by the private sector in agricultural value chains.
- Be part of and support the Programme Management Unit in overseeing, coordinating and aligning the contribution of private sector resource partners in the skilling and assessing their deliverables.
- Work in liaison with the private sector partners to identify labour information collection nodes across the demand and supply chains and development of sustainable and effective information collection and dissemination mechanisms.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a University Degree in Agri-Business, Economics, Marketing, Small Business Management or related field.
- A minimum of eight years of professional experience in agribusiness, and/or value chain and market access related consultancy, and/or analysis/research of agribusiness and/or regional socio-economic development projects.
- Previous exposure and experience in working with public sector, private sector and donor organizations on institutional development or similar projects will be an asset.
- Prior experience in monitoring and evaluation of performance of business units and/or regional/local or community socio-economic development projects is desirable.
- Previous experience in training, teaching or mentoring role.
- Prior exposure and experience in marketing, market research and management.
- Previous experience working in an entrepreneurial environment or as owner/manager of a small business.
- Experience of work in farming zones, social entrepreneurship, small business and/or private sector engagement.
- Experience in innovative product development.
- Highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty.
- Resourcefulness, strategic thinking, creative problem solving and basic financial management skills.
- Shares knowledge and experience.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of program, managing data, reporting.
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Demonstrated ability to follow through on objectives and produce timely results with minimum supervision.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written.
- Knowledge or experience in value chain development.
- Knowledge of Ugandan languages in East, Central and West is an asset.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should send their application letters, accompanied with updated Curriculum Vitae indicating three professional referees and copies of relevant certificates via e-mail with the subject line indicating ‘Application for Private Sector Development Specialist’ addressed to:
The Human Resource Manager,
P.O. Box 6785, Kampala, Uganda.
E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 8th July, 2016 by 5:00PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline