Job Title: Planner Agriculture
Organisation: National Planning Authority (NPA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Ref No: NPA/ADV/02/2016 (4)
Reports to: Head Production & Trade Planning
The National Planning Authority (NPA) was established by an Act of Parliament No.15 of 2002 in compliance with article 125 of the Constitution of the Republic of Uganda (1995). Accordingly NPA is the principal statutory agency responsible for the management of national and decentralized development planning in Uganda. The primary function of the Authority is to produce comprehensive and integrated development plans for the country elaborated in terms of the perspective Vision, Long and Medium-term Plans.
Job Summary: The Planner Agriculture will be responsible for strategic comprehensive development planning for the agriculture sector.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively engage in policy and problem solving research in agriculture (crops, livestock and fisheries)
- Carry out economic analysis of the cropping, livestock and fisheries systems with a view to advising the Authority on issues for discussion with H.E. the President with a view to guide priority interventions in the sector.
- Responsible for the analysis of agriculture Sector development trends and issues to identify threats, potential opportunities and emerging issues to guide planning and policy.
- Actively participate in the formulation of agriculture development policies
- Provide technical advice on the most appropriate budget allocation to the development programmes and projects in the agriculture sector with a view to establishing synergies with other sectors in the economy.
- Create a link between NPA with the sector stakeholders including but not limited to Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF), its affiliated agencies, CSOs, development partners, NGOs , etc with a view to ensuring that agriculture sector development plans are formulated and aligned to the National Development Plans and ultimately to Uganda Vision 2040.
- Provide technical backstopping to the planning functions at both central and local government agriculture sector levels.
- Prepare Policy Briefs on the sector.
- Perform any other duties as may be directed by the immediate supervisor and higher authorities from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a Masters’ degree in Agricultural economics, Agri-Business, economic policy and planning and any other closely related discipline from a recognized University
- At least five years’ experience in any of the areas of agricultural planning, extension, research and development in a reputable organization / institution.
- Masterly of analytical skills is an added advantage
- Understands the necessity to acknowledge sources of information
- Expresses confidence in knowledge and acts decisively in situations requiring existing knowledge
- Proven ability to quickly identify and take into account important Government interests into policy and decision making
- Shares experiences and knowledge with team members
- Ability to establish the link between NPA and the Governments agenda
- Able to analyze different scenarios and identify the best fallback position
- Develops and implements work-plans for complex projects
- Able to conduct research and analyze current policies for relevance
- Demonstrates advanced computer skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Good computing skills
- Very high level of professionalism and integrity
- Excellent communication skills (Oral and written)
- Excellent analytical skills
- Age: Between 25 - 45 years
NB: This is a re-advertisement so applicants who responded to NPA/ADV/02/2015 (8): for Planner Agriculture (NPA-OS-5) should not re-apply
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send two sets of applications with detailed curriculum vitae clear phone and email contacts, photocopies of academic and professional certificates and transcripts should be directed to: The Executive Director, National Planning Authority, P.O. Box 21434 Kampala Uganda; Planning – House Plot 17B Clement Hill Road.
- The preferred method of applications delivery is physical delivery through the NPA Front Desk / Reception. However, postal applications are also allowed provided they are received before the deadline indicated below
- Shortlisted candidates shall be notified through their email addresses and phone contacts indicated on the application or CV.
Deadline: Friday 24th June 2016 by 16:55 hours.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline