Job Title: Legal Counsel
Organization: Uganda Association of Women Lawyers (FIDA Uganda)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Uganda Association of Women Lawyers (FIDA Uganda) is one of the leading womens rights organization in Uganda and the pioneer of legal aid and public legal education in sub-Saharan Africa. In particular, FIDA (U) seeks to promote human rights standards as established in international, regional and national human rights instruments and uses a feminist and rights based approach in order to address the underlying causes of abuse, including patriarchy, injustice and exclusion.
The Initiative for Strategic Litigation in Africa is a new African initiative that aims to contribute to the development of jurisprudence on women’s human rights and sexual rights on the continent. ISLA provides legal representation and support to those who seek to hold states accountable for violations of womens human rights and sexual rights.
Job Summary: The Legal Counsel will support in developing FIDA U strategic litigation unit.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be a part of the strategic litigation unit team and help to develop the litigation unit;
- In charge of drafting clear and concise legal memoranda, briefs and opinions;
- In charge of researching substantive issues of comparative and international human rights law and practice;
- Co-representing cases before domestic, regional and international human rights fora;
- Build and strengthen alliances and coalitions to support cases with relevant social networks and groups Meet and interview clients
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a legal degree and admission to legal practice in any African country. Possession of an advanced degree/ qualifications in law, human rights, gender or a relevant subject and admission to legal practice in Uganda will be distinct added advantages;
- Strong research and exceptional writing skills;
- Keen analytical ability;
- Meticulous attention to detail;
- Substantial experience using constitutional, regional and international human rights law, with preference to candidates who have had such experience in litigation
- In-depth or sophisticated understanding of international and comparative human rights law, mechanisms and institutions;
- A sophisticated understanding of women’s human rights and feminist analysis;
- Exhibit the highest standards of excellence and integrity, and display, at all times and to all persons, a courteous, professional and cooperative attitude;
- Supervisory experience with added advantage from experience in coordinating and managing projects and evidence of being a self-driven, resourceful person able to manage and coordinate team work well.
- Previous media, public speaking or promotional work experience
- Fundraising experience, including a demonstrated ability to cultivate relationships with individual donors is beneficial.
- Fluency in one or more of the AU official languages
NB: Priority will be given to qualifying female applicants.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants must submit an unedited writing sample, updated CV, cover letter, three professional references, stating full name of referees, email address and contact telephone number. Please send your written or electronic application to Plot 100 Lutaya Drive Bukoto, Kampala. Uganda
E-mail to: email@example.com
Deadline: 11th July 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline