Job Title: Laboratory Technologist
Organisation: Medical Research Council/ Uganda Virus Research Institute (MRC/UVRI)
Funding Source: MRC (UK) and U.S. PEPFAR
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Laboratory Manager or Head of Programme CiSP
Position Code: LABT5161
The Medical Research Council/ Uganda Virus Research Institute (MRC/UVRI) based at the Uganda Virus Research Institute in Entebbe is a bilateral multi-disciplinary research organization funded by, the Medical Research Council (UK) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Uganda under the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and other donor agencies. Established in 1988, the MRC/UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS is an internationally recognized center of excellence for research on HIV infection and related diseases, contributing knowledge on the revolving epidemic, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment and prevention, and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide.
Job Summary: The Laboratory Technologist will process and perform Immunological Assays in the CiSP Immunology laboratory
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The incumbent will serve as the analytical Project Manager for selected studies and preparing and maintaining the Analytical Project Manager’s file accordingly
- Responsible for the reception, processing and archiving of study samples.
- Conduct assays according to study protocols.
- Learn new techniques as required for studies.
- Enter laboratory results on computer, check and back up.
- The incumbent will also be tasked with preparing summaries of results.
- Take part in the analysis, write up and presentation of results.
- Participate in routine monitoring of equipment functioning.
- Participate in the routine monitoring of carbon dioxide incubators, cold-room, fridge and freezer temperatures.
- Actively participate in laboratory meetings and journal clubs, and in the organisation of these activities.
- Assisting in ensuring that equipment is well maintained.
- Take part in general laboratory maintenance and safety practices.
- Participate in the supervision of students working in the laboratory.
- Performing any other general CiSP activities as may be assigned by supervisor/Project leader.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject
- Possess GCLP certification
- Ability to learn and conduct assays required, according to study protocols
- Must have passed O’ level English and Mathematics with at least credits
- Registered with Allied Health Professionals Council
- Personal integrity, ability to learn, flexibility and concern for excellence
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications letters, copies of academic qualifications and curriculum vitae including names, telephone contacts and email addresses of three (3) referees should be sent only via e mail to: email@example.com. Please quote the position code in the subject line of the email.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. Note that academic qualifications will be subjected to verification by the issuing institutions
Deadline: 10th June 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline