Job Title: Internal Controller
Organisation: Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Habitat for Humanity International is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need. Habitat for Humanity has an Administrative Headquarters based in Atlanta, an Operational Headquarters based in Americus, Georgia, and Area Office bases of operations in Manilla, Philippines for our Asia and Pacific work, San Jose, Costa Rica for our Latin American and Caribbean work and Bratislava, Slovakia for our Europe, the Middle East and Africa work.
Job Summary: The Internal Controller will mainly be responsible for the internal audit function in HFHU by conducting operational reviews at the field office branches and affiliates and National Office. The Internal Controller will work very closely with appointed external auditors in ensuring compliance with Habitat for Humanity International standards and deadlines for annual audits. The incumbent will conduct an independent appraisal of the effectiveness of the policies, procedures and standards by which HFHU's financial, physical and information resources are managed. The jobholder will add value by acting as a facilitator in business risk management and carrying out value for money reviews, thereby assisting the management of HFHU in the effective discharge of their responsibilities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Mission and Stewardship: Ensure good Stewardship of Habitat for Humanity Uganda’s resources so as to maximize the advancement of the Mission, Vision, Goals and Policies of HFHU.
- Internal Audit: Carry out internal audits to assess the adequacy, effectiveness and efficiency of the established internal controls and procedures, report on the findings, and make recommendations for the improvement of systems and procedures being reviewed. Review management responses on the findings and monitor implementation of the recommendations.
- Periodic Portfolio Audit: Conduct bi-annual Housing Microfinance Portfolio Audit to ascertain the correctness of the portfolio. Submit portfolio audit reports to the Finance & Audit Committee Chairperson, and National Director.
- Audit Follow-up: Keenly monitor and follow up agreed upon actions in response to external and internal audit management letters and audit recommendations.
- Systems and Risk: Work with board and management to ensure a system is in place which ensures that all major risks of the HFHU are identified and analyzed, on a quarterly basis and assesses the effectiveness of the risk mitigates in place.
- Monitoring and Controls: Conduct occasional petty cash counts at the National Office. Review and verify the authenticity of documents of accountability submitted by the affiliates and the National Office staff and volunteers for authenticity and compliance with policy. Verify and sign monthly bank reconciliations.
- Operational Reviews of Branches: Conduct regular operational reviews of Habitat for Humanity Uganda branches, ensuring that funds and assets are used according to organizational policies and procedures. Prepare and submit operational review reports with recommendations to the Finance & Audit Committee Chairperson, and National Director within two weeks of the completion of operational reviews.
- Fraud: Examine policies and procedures on a regular basis to ensure that the company minimizes its exposure to fraud and other losses and advise on systems and processes that would mitigate against fraud. Carry out routine checks to identify occurrence of fraud and recommend appropriate action against any individuals found to have taken part in fraud, embezzlement or misuse of Habitat for Humanity Uganda’s resources.
- Finance Department Support: To review and report on the accuracy, timeliness and relevance of the financial and other information that is provided for management.
- Reporting: Prepare a quarterly report to the Chair of the Board Finance and Audit Sub-Committee and National Director indicating activities and findings for the quarter and any recommendations.
- Other Duties: Carry out other duties as directed by the National Director or Board of Directors. Participate in the Finance and Audit Committee meetings as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in in accounting & CPA qualification
- A minimum of five years’ experience in a similar role preferably with a non-governmental organization.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should apply by sending a cover letter, a detailed CV and copies of relevant academic credentials via email addressed to: The Human Resource Department.
Email to: email@example.com
NB: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 27th June, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline