Job Title: Human Resources & Administration Officer
Organisation: Agricultural Business Initiative (aBi)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Human Resources & Shared Services
Job Ref No: HR001
The Agricultural Business Initiative (aBi), a group of registered companies namely aBi Trust and aBi Finance Ltd, is a multi-stakeholder entity co-founded in July 2010 by the Governments of Uganda and Denmark through DANIDA and the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development respectively, with the objective to promote “Private sector agribusiness development to enhance wealth creation.” The development objective of the aBi Trust is building a self-sustaining export-led economy in which the benefits are shared by all Ugandans, and its immediate objective is to strengthen the competitiveness of Uganda’s agricultural and agro-processing sector. It does this through Value Chain Development (VCD) of six value chains (Coffee, Cereals, Pulses, Horticulture, Dairy and Oil Seeds) and Financial Services Development (FSD).
aBi Finance Ltd is the investment arm of aBi that aims to enable the Trust to meet its programme activities in a sustainable manner by offering financing for agribusiness development through Lines of Credit, Agribusiness Loan Guarantees and the Construction Guarantees Fund.
Job Summary: The Human Resources & Administration Officer will provide human resources support and the supervision of the administrative team so as to provide quality services that contribute to and support the achievements of aBi Strategic objectives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Support the HR function by maintaining accurate and up to date records to enable effective reporting and decision making:
- The incumbent will manage the HR filing and data management system to ensure that all paperwork and employee information is complete, accurate, easily retrieved and managed according to best practice.; producing reports and statistics as required.
- Prepare and submit reports that guide the Head of Human Resources & Shared Services in developing appropriate plans for the effective implementation of the HRM strategy.
- Manage and coordinate welfare activities in a way that supports staff physical and emotional wellbeing.
2. Ensure a timely and accurate processing of payroll data to help the team provide a proactive and efficient payroll service:
- Compile and review employee attendance to ensure that there is accurate computation of salaries and wages as defined and agreed in employment contracts.
- Maintaining an up to-date HR payroll database, and ensure that employee bio-data, and pay information are regularly updated in the HR Information system in order to ensure accurate payments.
- Providing the finance department with regular updates, changes and any adjustments of pay information necessary for journal adjustments.
- Preparing, analysing and carryout monthly payrolls adjustments (if any) for aBi’s employees in line with information submitted from the HR to the Finance department.
3. Participate in the management, implementation and monitoring of aBi’s learning and development plan to ensure that it meets the needs of both aBi staff and results in the achievements of the overall objectives:
- Work in liaison with the Head of Human Resources & Shared Services develop and implement mechanisms for identifying core competencies required by the company and assessing capacity gaps of staff such as, identifying learning and development resources that will bridge identified gaps.
- Drawing up draft training plans and budgets and liaising with the Head of Human Resources & Shared Services for approval.
- Work closely with the procurement team to identify and recruit suitable training providers and consultants to roll out the company’s-wide training program; gathering participant feedback and supervising consultants in order to ensure satisfactory learning.
- Working with participant monitor and evaluate learning and development activities in order to ensure their effectiveness in driving enhanced organizational performance.
4. Support the Human Resources Function by providing preparing, reviewing and monitoring a performance management system that will enhance the performance and motivation of aBi:
- Ensure that job descriptions are communicated to staff, signed by them, and placed in the HR files.
- Provide managers with up-to-date paperwork and following up with them to ensure that reviews are carried out; ensuring that reviews are placed in the HR file.
- Ensure that staff development plans are developed, in collaboration with the staff concerned and that these are fed into Learning & Development plan.
5. Ensure aBi fleet is available to meet the organization’s requirements and that in country and out of country travels are efficiently managed:
- Coordinate in country travel for field and town service for the organization.
- Working with the Administrative ensure that the aBi Fleet is fully operational responding to internal customer needs.
- Facilitate and manage travel plans for Board members and staffs travelling abroad.
6. Ensure an efficiently run office facility providing a conducive/enabling physical environment for the organization’s activities to take place :
- Work closely with the Internal Finance team ensure that that aBi’s Asset management systems are accurate and up to date.
- Regularly monitor the of Health and safety standards in the office in order to provide a hazardous free work environment.
- Manage the operation of stores ensuring that request as needed by users are available at all times in sufficient quality and quantity.
7. Lead the Administration team in a manner that empowers them to deliver excellent service to the organisation so as to achieve quality results:
- Communicate to the administration team a clear and exciting vision for the work of aBi’s and for the role of department in supporting the organization.
- Ensure that each member is provided with clear expectations for achievement of results, standards and behaviour.
- Plan and organise the work of the team so as to achieve team and organisation in the most cost effective manner possible; ensuring that team members are given appropriate workloads and are working efficiently.
- Support and build the capacity of team members to enable them to give of their best e.g. by encouraging and praising good performance, coaching, training, assisting staff to prevent or resolve problems, providing resources, tools and equipment.
- Monitor and review performance and, in particular, hold staff accountable for achieving results, meeting standards of excellence and delivering any improvement goals which have been identified; taking decisive action in the case of poor performance.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Human Resources & Administration Officer job placement should hold a Bachelor in Human Resource, Business Admin, Social science or Development studies
- Possession of a PGD in HR is an added advantage
- At least three to six years’ experience in a medium-sized organisation
- Strong business and HR acumen, including strong problem solving skills, critical thinking, and self-initiative
- Proven ability to coach others in the use of HR best practices
- Excellent written, verbal communication, interpersonal skills; high quality document and report preparation; excellent presentation skills
- Thorough knowledge of employment laws.
- Proven ability to successfully work as a team member and to build and maintain a positive work environment across the organisation
- Demonstrated experience in managing logistics
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should apply online by clicking on link below and following the instructions.
Deadline: 8th July 2016 by 12:00pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline