Job Title: Grants Officer
Organization: Mildmay Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Grants Manager
Mildmay Uganda is a faith- based local Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) offering Comprehensive HIV Care & treatment, Training, Research & General Medical Services; also providing Health Systems Strengthening to scale up comprehensive HIV/AIDS Services in 16 districts of Central Uganda.
Job Summary: The Grants Officer will be responsible for providing support in proposal development and grants management to ensure effective sourcing, acquisition, and management of restricted income to meet MUg’s strategic funding needs. The incumbent takes overall responsibility for managing, entirely, specific proposals, as well as working as part of proposal teams as maybe required from time to time. The Grants Officer is also for directly responsible for managing relationships with assigned specific donors, and providing technical oversight and backstopping to the implementation of assigned grants/projects.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Grants Acquisition: Under the leadership of the Grants Manager, provide support to grants sourcing and acquisition processes to ensure the development and submission of quality grants proposals:
- Continuously scan the donor market to identify funding sources and document them in the MUg Donor Grid to ensure access to information for funding opportunities.
- Through advance intelligence gathering, partner relationships, and other available resources continuously scan the environment to Identify and track relevant upcoming funding opportunities and conduct pre-bidding activities to ensure MUg quickly responds to emerging funding opportunities.
- Work in close consultation with the Grants Manager, lead the formation of proposal teams to respond to funding opportunities as may be required from time to time.
- Assist the Grants Manager to coordinate with technical teams to develop and maintain a comprehensive repository of unsolicited project concepts for potential marketing to donors
- Directly take lead in the development of specific grant proposals as assigned by the Grants Manager
- Offer technical support in the identification and negotiation of strategic proposal partnership/teaming arrangements while protecting and promoting MUg strategic interests.
2. Grants Management: Provide technical oversight to the implementation of specific assigned grants, particularly focussing on the “quality of implementation”, to ensure strict adherence to approved project designs as well as internal and donor procedures, standards, and guidelines, and conditions:
- Provide immediate post award support to ensure quick grant start-up of assigned grants/projects and seamless transition, including capacity building of new staff, formalisation of partnership arrangements, as well as establishment of project management tools and structure.
- Carry out periodic support supervision and technical backstopping to implementation of assigned grants, ensuring adherence to internal and donor policies and guidelines
- Work close coordination with the Director S&P, act as the Business Official on assigned grants relationships, providing coordination of all administrative donor responses including reports, periodic inquiries, and any other information in line with approved authority levels.
3. Partnership and Networking: Build and strengthen program partnerships and networks with strategically identified stakeholders to improve MUg's competitiveness, visibility, and strategic positioning in the donor market:
- Provide support to identify, appraise, and maintain a database of potential program partners
- Provide administrative support in the identification, vetting, and approval of sub-grantee relationships including; leading due diligence/OCA processes, drafting of Scopes of Work, Budget Allocations, and drafting of sub-grantee documents
- Work in close collaboration with implementing teams, and the Grants Finance office, provide support in monitoring sub-grantee performance and compliance to sub-grantee terms and conditions
- In collaboration with implementing teams, and the Grants Finance office, lead any efforts to build the technical and financial management capacity of sub-grantees as maybe needed from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Business Administration, Social Sciences, International Development or any other related filed
- Post graduate training in any of the above fields will be added advantage
- At least three years’ experience in program management, grants business development, Resource Mobilisation, and Grants Management in a Non-Profit setting
- Practical experience in the design, management and evaluation of development programs and establishing partner relationships.
- Strong program planning and management skills, including familiarity with common planning frameworks and monitoring tools
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including cross-cultural skills.
- Proven leadership and inter-personal skills and ability to build and motivate diverse and talented teams
- Demonstrated ability to implement systems and follow up processes
- Proven skills in group facilitation, team building, personnel management and partner coordination
- Ability to build relationships and interact effectively with technical experts, other partners and donor agencies
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills including the ability to organize and present information in a compelling way
- The applicant must also be flexible, reliable, and in sympathy with the Christian values of Mildmay Uganda.
- Evidence of a non-judgemental approach regarding race, religion, culture, sexuality and lifestyle is critical.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their updated CVs and cover letters to email@example.com; copy firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: 22nd June, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline