Organisation: Nsamizi Training Institute of Social Development
Funding Source: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Uganda
About UNHCR Project:
Nsamizi Training Institute of Social Development is an Implementing Partner for UNHCR that positively contributes toward improving sustainable living standards of refugees and other Persons of Concern in Nakivale, Isingiro District. This is being achieved by implementing livelihood support with skills development, environment conservation, Safe Access to Fuel and Energy (SAFE), and WASH so that people live in satisfactory conditions of sanitation and hygiene, amongst other disciplines. Self-reliance by all the people is one of the key targets during planning and implementation of the activities.
Job Summary: The Sanitation and Hygiene Assistant will be tasked with the implementation of Sanitation & Hygiene (S&H) interventions in settlement based S&H on UNHCR and internationally recognized standards and policies. The incumbent leads in the implementation of S&H activities in the settlement with the support of Sanitation and Hygiene Officer (SHO) and Local Government extension staff.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct periodic community assessment on sanitation and hygiene practices and needs to identify areas for interventions and validation of the WASH annual plans for the settlement
- Work in close conjunction with the assigned Community based extension workers lead the mobilization and sensitization of target communities to participate in Sanitation & Hygiene activities.
- Ensure that targeted households benefit and participate in WASH program interventions
- Actively promote community led total Sanitation and Hygiene promotion through awareness creation and establishment and maintenance of functional Community Based Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion structures
- Support establishment and implementation of health and hygiene promotion activities in schools
- Work in close conjunction with SHO, monitor construction and usage of existing WASH facilities through routine visits and provide guidance through follow up on the activities of community and local government structures responsible for such facilities
- Carry out basic trainings and refresher trainings as well as extend guidance and technical support to the Community based Hygiene and sanitation Promotion structures
- Compile weekly, monthly and periodic plans and reports on general WASH project works in the settlement for strategic interventions
- Offer support in providing necessary data for the development of the annual budgets and activity plans of all the software activities and ensure they are implemented timely and are of high quality
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Health Sciences, Higher Diploma in Water Engineering or any other related field attained from a recognized higher institution of learning.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in implementing health, and WASH related activities, preferably within a humanitarian operation
- Broad working knowledge about CLTS, CHAST and PHAST methods
- Excellent facilitation skills, community mobilization skills and the ability to effectively communicate key issues to communities
- Ability to coordinate a range of diverse actors and activities to achieve a common objective in the area of Sanitation and Hygiene
- Knowledge of PRA methods and willingness to live in the rural communities in the project areas.
- Good computer skills and ability to write technical reports
- Ability to ride a motor cycle with a clean riders’ license, class A
- Fluent in applicable local Languages (Kinyarwanda/Kinyabwisha/Kiswahili) and English.
How to Apply:
All qualified candidates should send an application letter and curriculum vitae to:
The Principal, Nsamizi Training Institute of Social Development,
P. O. Box 149, Mpigi. Uganda
Deadline: 20th June 2016 by 5:00PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline