Job Title: Resettlement Assistant
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position Number: 10013116
Reports to: Programme Officer
Vacancy Notice: 015/2016
Duty Station: Uganda
Post Grade: GL4
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Resettlement Assistant’s primary role is to support the supervisor in effective resettlement delivery of a given UNHCR Office in accordance with the UNHCR Resettlement Handbook, UNHCR Manual and relevant policy papers and publications. The Resettlement Assistant provides important clerical and administrative support to resettlement operations and may occasionally take part in assessing cases for resettlement and conducting interviews. The Resettlement Assistant maintains frequent contacts with his/her supervisor, relevant colleagues within the same Office to exchange information and discuss issues on resettlement cases. Some limited contacts and communication at a working level are required with Embassy / Immigration Officials of resettlement countries, IOM as well as with other operating partners regarding resettlement issues.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare written documentation for resettlement submission; ensure that records / files of individual cases are updated in a systematic and timely manner.
- Assess and review individual resettlement cases and prepare individual / group submission for scrutiny by the supervisor.
- The incumbent will follow-up on cases from time of submission to final decision and departure
- Comply with UNHCR’s standard operating procedures on resettlement, ensuring timely action on cases.
- Assist in logistical arrangements of selection missions by resettlement countries.
- Coordinate travel and departure arrangements for refugees accepted for resettlement.
- Assist in maintaining and updating proGres or Consolidated Online Resettlement Tracking System (CORTS) database.
- Assist in mitigating resettlement fraud by reporting suspected fraud.
- Occasionally, assist in carrying out preliminary interviews and initial assessments, to process refugees for resettlement following established procedures
- Offer administrative support for resettlement-related training activities, including organization of resettlement workshops and meetings as required.
- Render support in maintaining accurate resettlement statistics as well as up-to-date records on individual cases; assist in the preparation of reports.
- Draft / type routine correspondence to Field Offices / Regional Offices / Headquarters.
- Systematically apply an Age, Gender and Diversity perspective in all aspects of the resettlement process; comply with UNHCR policy and guidelines on HIV/AIDS.
Key Performance Indicators:
- UNHCR’s resettlement policies and standards are correctly and coherently applied.
- Persons of concern are made aware of UNHCR’s resettlement procedures and have fair and transparent access to and participation in the resettlement process.
- Suspected fraud in the resettlement process is promptly reported.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Resettlement Assistant job opportunity should have completed Secondary education. Additional training courses in international relations, international law or relevant fields required.
- A minimum of two years of related job experience.
- Good knowledge of resettlement issues and UNHCR resettlement policies and operational applications.
- Completion of UNHCR specific learning/training activities.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
How to Apply:
All Interested candidates who meet the above criteria should submit their applications, under confidential cover to: Senior Admin/Finance Officer, UNHCR Representation in Uganda via E-mail quoting the above vacancy notice and position number: UGAKAHR@unhcr.org.
Deadline: 7th July, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline