Job Title: Protection Assistant
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position Number: 10016823
Reports to: Associate Protection Officer
Vacancy Notice: 015/2016
Duty Station: Uganda
Post Grade: GL4
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Protection Assistant will provide functional and administrative support to the protection unit on protection related liaison, correspondence, monitoring, case management and reporting activities. The incumbent will also support the protection unit in designing a comprehensive protection strategy and in providing quality, timely and effective protection responses to persons of concern. The jobholder will liaise externally with local authorities and partners on correspondence and/or protection issues as guided by the supervisor. The Protection Assistant will also facilitate the involvement of persons of concern with the Office in making decisions that affect them, whether in accessing their rights or in identifying appropriate solutions to their problems. To achieve this, the incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, local authorities and protection and assistance partners.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Observe and respect protection related Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Offer functional and administrative support in all protection related Age Gender Diversity (AGD) based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Provide functional and administrative support in implementing participatory approaches, needs assessments, monitoring, reporting and case management.
- Support assessments on durable solutions through voluntary repatriation, local integration and where appropriate, resettlement.
- Serve as a liaison with competent authorities for the issuance of personal and other relevant documents.
- Assist in drafting reports, routine correspondence, updating relevant databases and compiling statistics for the protection unit/section
Key Performance Indicators:
- The protection of populations of concern is met through the application of International and National Law, relevant UN/UNHCR protection standards and IASC principles.
- Protection activities are guided by the UNHCR country protection strategy.
- The participation of persons of concern is facilitated through supporting participatory, rights and community based approaches.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Protection Assistant job opportunity should have completed Secondary education. Additional Training courses in protection related issues required.
- Two years of related work experience
- Good computer skills
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
How to Apply:
All Interested candidates who meet the above criteria should submit their applications, under confidential cover to: Senior Admin/Finance Officer, UNHCR Representation in Uganda via E-mail quoting the above vacancy notice and position number: UGAKAHR@unhcr.org.
Deadline: 7th July, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline