Organization: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Administrative Associate
Job ID: 4492
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nation’s global development network. UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. The UNDP provides expert advice, training, grant support to developing countries including Uganda with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
Job Summary: The Administrative Assistant (Registry and Housing) provides reliable registry services and assists in the management of the office building and UN Village.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Ensures maintenance of registry system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Set-up and maintenance of the office filing system in accordance with the UNDP Global Filing System and the Office intranet/E-documentation.
- The incumbent will be in charge of opening of new subject files as required and disposal of old files in accordance with the established retention schedule.
- Responsible for the maintenance of archives, making sure files are properly stored and accessible; safe keeping of documents according to the office E-documentation system.
- Provision of photocopies of material from the confidential registry files, as requested by staff. Assistance in the collection of reference and background material from registry files
- Establishment and maintenance of records system of file movements within the office; maintenance of the office circulation and reading files using efficiently the office intranet system
- Preparation of correspondence and reports related to registry activities
- Participation in the creation and maintenance of an electronic registry/archive system in close cooperation with the ICT staff
2. Ensures provision of effective mail management using the office intranet and E-documentation focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Receipt, registration, coding and forwarding of incoming faxes, letters and other correspondence to proper department/unit/officer.
- In charge of the registration and dispatch of the outgoing communications, including pouch, and follow-up distribution. - Prepares the summary of enclosure forms and necessary documents and maintains the file on pouches received to ensure that all bags are accounted for.
- Ensures cost recovery on Pouch Operations prorating and billing of user agencies.
3. Assist in managing the UN Housing focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Responsible for the preparation of tenancy agreement; announce availability of vacant houses, facilitates inspection of houses by intending tenants, receives complaints from tenants and reports to the supervisor;
- In charge of monitoring of rent payments and payment for utilities;
- Facilitation and maintenance of records on repair of houses and equipment, generator, lawn mower etc and any other duties assigned .
4. Others: Furthermore, the UN Volunteers are encouraged to:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark IVD);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNDP Administrative Assistant (Registry and Housing) job opportunity should have completed secondary education.
- A minimum of two years of relevant experience in administration support service/Registry and Housing
- Ability to work with computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheets and database packages.
- Demonstrated client-oriented approach
- Ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP's mission , vision and values
- Displays cultural , gender , religion , race , nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Share knowledge and experience
- Provision helpful feedback and advice to others in the office
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Demonstrates good IT skills
- Good knowledge of the UNDP global filing system
- Understanding of UNDP operations procedures
Leadership and self-Management
- Focuses on the result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive , constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Responds positively to critical feedback and different points of view
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
How to Apply:
All candidates who so desire to join the United Nations Volunteers UNV in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to apply online at the web link below.
Deadline: 1st July 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline