Job Title: Medical Officer
Organisation: Hospice Africa Uganda
Duty Station: Mbarara, Uganda
Hospice Africa Uganda (HAU) is a national organization which was founded in 1993 to promote modern methods of pain and symptom control as well as "whole-person" (holistic) care for patients living with cancer and HIV/AIDS. HAU strives to uphold excellent clinical standards and provide quality education courses and advocacy activities to promote the spread of palliative care throughout Uganda and Africa.
Job Summary: The Medical Officer will provide palliative care for patients with emphasis on pain and symptom control with a holistic approach.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the provision of palliative care to patients and families as part of interdisciplinary team:
- Keenly examine, assess and provide appropriate treatment and advice for patients referred to the service - in patients’ homes, hospital, at Hospice or during monthly visits;
- Make referrals to other Health facilities for conditions which may be more appropriately managed elsewhere;
- Identify psychological, social, and spiritual issues affecting patients and their families, and offer sensitive support and referral to other services where appropriate;
- Provide information to patients aimed at reducing vulnerability to disease and infection;
- Recognize and manage “emergencies”;
- Ensure continuity of care for patients: Maintain high standard of documentation and record-keeping.
- Participate in research or audit projects concerning the medical or social needs of patients and families; “Bedside” teaching of students on placement at Hospice sites;
- Make presentation of cases / articles at case conferences, bereavement meetings, and journal club;
- Participate in teaching in a variety of training/educational courses run by Hospice.
Advocacy: Actively promote access to comprehensive quality palliative care to people living with HIV/AIDS and cancer and their families
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Degree in medicine;
- A minimum of two years of practice, knowledge and understanding of Palliative Care is vital.
- Good people management skills;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send their applications including a resume with three work related referees and a cover letter via E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address your applications to:
The Human Resources and Administration Director,
Hospice Africa Uganda,
Plot 130, Makindye Road, Opposite Makindye Country Club,
P.O. Box 7757, Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 13th June 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline