Organization: National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Senior Environmental Monitoring Officer (Oil&Gas)
Job Ref: NEMA/ADV/EXT/07/2016
The National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) was established under the National Environment Act Cap. 153 to promote and ensure sound environmental management practices for sustainable development in Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Environmental Monitoring Officer (Oil and Gas) will carry out field and onsite appraisal of Environmental Impact studies (baseline verification) and Environmental Audits undertaken and provide guidance on the environmental aspects of the projects undertaken within Oil and Gas sector.
- Conduct post EIA inspections and environmental audits to ensure implementation of environmental compliance requirements;
- Prepare, organize and maintain environmental compliance and inspection records
- Regularly verify compliance with environmental laws with a special focus on petroleum development activities including examining environmental permits, licenses, applications and records to ensure compliance with licensing requirements;
- In charge of advising and offering environmental compliance assistance to companies and ancillary service providers within petroleum developments in order to promote proactive approach to environmental management;
- Responsible for designing and implementing awareness programmes on environmental aspects of activities for Local Communities and Local Leaders ; with particular involvement of the local print and electronic media;
- In charge of facilitating training programmes for Local Governments’ technical staff on environmental monitoring the petroleum value chain, with a view of gaining their active and informed participation in monitoring oil and gas activities in the Albertine Graben;
- Stakeholder Collaboration: In undertaking the specified assignment above, the officer shall closely liaise and/or work in partnership with UWA, MEMD, the respective District Local Governments and any other relevant Lead Agency (ies), as well as NGOs/CSOs operating in the area, as appropriate.
- Perform any other duties assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the NEMA Environmental Monitoring Officer (Oil and Gas) job opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s degree in any of the following: Physical or Natural Science, Mechanical Engineering or Petroleum Engineering;
- Possession of a Postgraduate Degree in any of the above is a must.
- At least three (3) years working experience in management of environmental related programmes;
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the petroleum value chain and associated environmental issues will be an added advantage.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of Environmental Laws of Uganda.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Good morals and high level of integrity
- Good management and supervisory skills
- Good coordinating/ networking and negotiation skills
- High level of confidentiality
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their hand written applications together with copies of certificates/ testimonials and detailed curriculum vitae indicating three professional referees addressed to:-
The Executive Director,
National Environment Management Authority (NEMA),
NEMA House, Plot 17/19/21 Jinja Road,
P.O. Box 22255, Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 20th June, 2016
Note: The job title applied for should be printed at the top left hand side of the envelope. Applicants, who will not have heard from us by August 31, should consider their applications unsuccessful.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline