Job Title: Customer Services Officer
Organisation: British Council
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head Finance and Resources
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for educational opportunities and cultural relations. We create international opportunities for the people of the UK and other countries and build trust between them worldwide. British Council Uganda is based in Kampala and offers a full range of programmes including examinations, project management on behalf of other donors, and its own grant funded projects. British Council has operated in Uganda since 1952 and its aim is to build cultural and educational relations between Uganda and the UK.
Job Summary: The Customer Services Officer will deliver a positive experience to any British Council customer by delivering an effective, efficient, quality driven and integrated response on the full range of Council activities and services in Uganda. This post will coordinate the Customer Services Desk at the British Council office in Kampala. It is accountable for the delivery of high quality customer services to customers, our examinations services, and all other customers who have an interest in interacting with the British Council. The post works as a part of the wider examinations team consisting of 4 people.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure a courteous and efficient first point of contact for external customers visiting Uganda, our offices/country with customer expectations exceeded
- Manage all online, telephone and face to face enquiries related to British Council activity in Uganda
- Collect, analyse & report on feedback received from customers according to agreed standards
- The incumbent will collect and ensure up to date knowledge of all British Council programmes.
Managing Contact Channels:
- Ensure basic enquiries comprehensively handled according to regional and country customer service standards
- Ensure that higher level enquiries effectively communicated to appropriate staff
- Ensure customer enquiries effectively tracked for follow through to completion
- Ensure the front desk is covered during working hours
- Develop a proactive approach to customer relationships by liaising effectively and frequently with customers and by ensuring effective and timely provision of service
- Manage first level of complaints and be responsible for providing feedback within agreed timeframe
- In charge of the effective management of the British Council website and the social media pages according to agreed standards
- Positively engage with customers, provide a professional level of service and tackle challenges and negative feedback to the agreed standards
- Ensure customer feedback is discussed and escalated effectively
Reporting, Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Compile monthly statistics on customer flow on both walk-in, online and telephone customers and send report to the management team
- Ensure the customer service centre is functioning to the agreed service levels; making sure customers are served quickly for short enquiries, queues are managed and customers have a positive experience of British Council.
- Ensure feedback is solicited from customers
- Ensure all customer service points reflect brand and corporate values including intercultural and Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) and child protection policies
- Key risks identified are escalated to line manager same day
- Offer support with the coordination and production of online and hard copy materials
- Take lead in the coordination and implementation of British Council generic events such as the global Customer Service week.
- Respond to online queries.
- Supporting candidates with registration processes for all products
- Receipt of registration details and accurate transfer and upload of data to awarding body portals
- Resolving registration queries where possible/ escalating to Exams Operations Officer where appropriate
- Support the exams team with bank and exam reconciliations
Other duties/responsibilities include;
- Support for exam sales through desk-based research to inform business development activities.
- Support for Exams Operations Officers with examination material receipt, sorting and despatch as required.
- Ensure the needs of our diverse customers are met in line with our Equal Opportunities policy.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the British Council Customer Services Officer should possess a related University degree
- A minimum of three years of related experience in the private sector/ corporate office environment in a similar position
Communicating and Influencing:
- Relates communications to circumstances
- Displays good listening, writing and speaking skills, setting out logical arguments clearly and adapting language and form of communication to meet the needs of different people/audiences.
- Analyses project data
- Examines project data and performance, reporting on progress and recommending corrective action as needed.
Planning and organizing:
- Plans ahead
- Organises own work over weeks and months, or plans ahead for others, taking account of priorities and the impact on other people.
Managing Finance and Resources:
- Uses financial systems and processes
- Uses corporate financial systems and processes appropriately as part of the job and on behalf of a team.
- Operates as a basic user of information systems, digital and office technology
- Able to use office software and British Council systems to do the job and manage documents or processes.
Creating shared purpose (more demanding) :
- Communicating an engaging picture of how we can work together. Working together (more demanding)
- Establishing a genuinely common goal with others.
Being accountable (essential): Delivering my best work in order to meet my commitments
Making it happen (essential): Delivering clear results for the British Council
Shaping the future (essential): Looking for ways in which we can do things better
Connecting with others (essential): Making regular opportunities to understand others better
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the British Council in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent, proceed with the online application.
Deadline: 1st July 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline