Job Title: Country Representative
Organization: Management Sciences for Health (MSH)
Reports to: Senior Director, Country Strategic and Operational Support
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Job ID: 13-9094
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is a nonprofit international health organization composed of nearly 2500 people from more than 74 nationalities working in over 50 countries. Our mission is to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Together with our partners, we are helping managers and leaders in developing countries to create stronger management systems that improve health services for the greatest health impact.
Job Summary: The Country Representative represents the Office of the Chief Executive (OCE) in Uganda, and as such, is the most senior in-country staff member with final authority for in-country decisions related to MSH presence, interests, or immediate and time-sensitive risks to MSH and/or its staff. The CR is the primary contact for (non-project specific) external relations with key in-country stakeholders such as donors, government officials, clients and other partner organizations. The CR leads the development and execution of the Integrated Country Strategy and proactively coordinates MSH in-country activities. The CR promotes technical awareness, coordination, collaboration and synergy of MSH activities. The Country Representative ensures that all projects and staff in-country safeguard MSH’s financial, contractual, technical, and political integrity and reputation. The incumbent will be in charge of strategic management of in- country Presence and New Business Development. The jobholder will drive the development and execution of the Country Strategic Roadmap (CSRM) and the annual country plans; ensure appropriate and coordinated support from home office. He / she will also take charge of country-based business development and strategic communication activities (including positioning, intelligence gathering, and proposal development) that contribute to the sustainability or expansion of MSH’s programs. The incumbent will serve as a key liaison to the Offices for Business Development and Strategic Communications.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Operations Management
- Provide equitable, effective, timely, cost-effective, and high‐quality operations and administrative support to all MSH in-country projects within local laws and available resources.
- The incumbent will develop and promote an environment with adequate internal controls, adherence to contracts regulations, MSH policies and standard operating procedures.
- Ensure that MSH activities and management operations in country are implemented as per MSH mission, values, policies and standards, and local laws and regulations.
- Facilitate/ensure timely resolution of issues, constraints, problems affecting MSH in-country performance, efficiency, and effectiveness and work environment.
- Facilitate execution of internal/external financial, operations and program reviews or audits, with timely follow up to reviews or audits conclusions and recommendations.
2. People Management
- Offer support, coaching and mentoring to COMU Director and is accountable for (COMU Director) performance management (including regular check-ins, formal appraisals, supportive supervision, rewards, training, coaching and career development support).
- Facilitate resolution of differences or conflicts among Leadership Team (LT) members and their staff.
- Serve as Chair of the in‐country LT and ensure accountability and appropriate follow up actions for decisions made at the meetings.
- Support Project Directors in-country as needed and applicable, especially in scanning and navigating local environment and managing local relationships.
3. Client/Donor Management:
- Work closely with Project Directors to (a) ensure that MSH activities and management operations are implemented as per MSH mission, values, policies and standard operating procedures, and local laws and regulations, and (b) to safeguard MSH’s reputation - financial, contractual, and political integrity.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Management Sciences for Health (MSH) Country Representative employment opportunity should hold an MPH, MBA or master's level degree in related field.
- A minimum of fifteen (15+) years of progressively responsible, related experience in international development work is required; twenty (20+) years is preferred.
- Excellent track record in managing large enterprises in developing nations and prior experience and success in directing large international donor-funded projects.
- Demonstrated leadership and management abilities leading a diverse team of national professionals.
- Previous operations management experience is a plus.
- Demonstrated strategic planning and visioning skills is required.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of USG regulations, administrative, and operations procedures in the implementation of donor assisted projects.
- Proven record of aligning diverse, multi-level teams with project mission and vision.
- Good track record of strong commitment to sharing knowledge, documenting experiences, supporting creative initiatives, and sharing credit.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with senior-level colleagues, particularly interacting productively, proactively, and comfortably with government agencies, NGOs, private sector groups, USAID, CAs, and donor organizations. Demonstrated strategic agility, diplomacy, conflict management, team building, cross cultural communication, active listening, and negotiation skills.
- Fluency in English and dominant language of Uganda required.
- Navigating the Environment: Organizational Agility, Interpersonal savvy, Peer Relationships, Political Savvy and Strategic Agility.
- Ensuring Delivery of Results: Action Oriented, Business Acumen, Drive for Results, Client Focus, Innovation Management, Managing and Measuring work, Negotiating, Process Management, Priority Setting, Problem Solving and Timely Decision Making.
- Personal Skills: Building Effective Teams, Conflict Management, Delegation, Dealing with Paradox, Decision Quality, Managing Vision and Purpose, Managerial Courage, Time Management, Planning.
- Core Personal Competencies: Ethics and Values, Integrity and Trust, Listening.
- Core MSH competencies: Adaptability, Communication, Problem Solving, Creativity and Innovation, Quality, Quality and Timeliness of Work, Quality of work and Team Relationships, Resource Utilization.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the Management Sciences for Health in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to Apply Online by clicking on the link below.
Deadline: 31st July, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline