Job Title: Business Reporter
Organisation: Vision Group
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Editor Business
About Vision Group:
The Vision Group incorporated as the New Vision Printing & Publishing Company Limited (NVPPCL), started business in March 1986. It is a multimedia business housing newspaper, magazines, internet publishing, television, radio broadcasting, commercial printing, advertising and distribution services. NVPPCL is listed on the Uganda Stock Exchange, with an expected turnover of over UGX 60 billion (FY 2010/2011).
Job Summary: The Business Reporter will write compelling and enterprise business, finance and economic stories in an innovative and professional manner and contribute to the strategic direction of the Business section so as to grow the newspaper and advance society.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Generate and write compelling and enterprise business, economy and finance stories that grow the section and the newspaper as a whole.
- Draw up innovative business ideas that translate into stories and advertising revenue.
- Keenly review relevant print and online newspapers of the day, both local and international, as well as online blogs and social media generally, to get untold stories for New Vision and its sister news platforms.
- Coach and mentor junior writers on the business desk and elsewhere in the newsroom to meet the New Vision standards as part of succession planning.
- Follow-up on important stories and ideas that are in the pipeline.
- Carry out research to build accurate, balanced, multi-sourced, factual, informative and follow-up stories that are interesting, credible and relevant.
- Write in-depth contextualized and agenda-setting analysis, investigations and exposes and track trends so that the newspaper becomes the first choice for decision makers.
- Actively participate in generating content for special revenue supplements.
- Submit ready to print stories in time.
- Contribute copy to Vision Group multi-platforms in the spirit of integration.
- Work with the photo desk and graphics team to ensure relevant photos or and graphics are available to strengthen copy.
- Provide leadership, managerial and strategic support to the team and stand in for the editor whenever necessary.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University preferably in Mass Communication.
- A minimum of three to five years of experience in Journalism.
- Strong grasp of national and regional issues and the ability to analyze socio-economic trends.
- Highly self-motivated.
- Proven ability to interact seamlessly with people of different social standing.
- Proven ability to do business stories.
- Demonstrated ability to build a network of sources.
- Able to work under tight deadlines.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent command of the English language and a compelling story telling style.
- Possess excellent presentation skills.
How to Apply:
All those reeling to work in Uganda’s leading media house, The New Vision, should send applications to: Chief Human Resources Officer, The New Vision Printing and Publishing Company Ltd. P.O. Box 9815, Kampala, Uganda or deliver to their front desk at the main reception.
Deadline: 1st July 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline