Job Title: Accounts Assistant - MECPU
Organization: Aga Khan Foundation (AKF)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Aga Khan Foundation through its partner agency, Madrasa Early Childhood Development Program, Uganda (MECPU) aims to provide quality community-based, culturally relevant, affordable and pluralistic EGD services to underprivileged communities in rural and urban areas. Core programming objectives include training ECD teachers using the Science of ECD training package, supporting children in transitioning successfully from home to preschool and into primary schools, and creating a society in which all children are active, healthy, knowledgeable and happy MECPU operates in parts of Central and West Nile regions of Uganda and has so far supported ECD policy development and implementation as well as community-based practice since 1993. MECPU is a key player in promoting integrated ECD in Uganda and its contributions so far have been recognised by Government, international development partners, CSOs and communities.
Job Summary: The Accounts Assistant will mainly be tasked with ensuring accurate and timely data capture and maintenance of accounting records, controls and procedures for MECPU, specifically petty cash, Fees records, fixed assets schedule and banks. The incumbent will also cover management of debtors' schedule, management of assets and consolidate the Tuition function. The jobholder will cover broad and challenging aspects of the finance function, and the incumbent is expected to demonstrate flexibility, initiative and honesty in his or her approach to the role.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Update the tuition records on a monthly basis for both credit and cash including preparing debt collection for unpaid dues
- Prepare monthly payrolls and ensure compliance to the Statutory requirements(PAYE, NSSF etc)
- The incumbent will reconcile all the banks on a monthly basis (including petty cash)
- Manage the finance function of the training Institute: ensuring all records on tuition fees are updated, detailed reports are produced for financial and management purposes.
- Maintain sufficient and regularly updated accounting records including asset register, to enable the Accountant to prepare month-end Management accounts.
- Actively contribute to the development and maintenance of internal controls and accounting procedures.
- Support the Accountant to discharge his/her duties as may be requested of you from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a Diploma in accounting or a related field from a recognised institution.
- A minimum of three years of related work experience
- Proven experience of accounting in Non-profit making setting, and preferably with a training institute or with education institute background.
- Excellent numerical skills.
- Strong grasp of the fundamentals of financial reporting and management accounts
- Computer accounting skills.
- The applicant should have people skills with professional character that will improve team standards by persuasion and confidence building.
- Computer skills are an essential.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should send a cover letter, updated CVs and names and contact information of three professional referees with “Position applied for” in the subject line addressed to the Program Director, MECPU via e-mail to email@example.com or hand deliver to MECPU offices located on Plot 278 Sir Albert Cook Road in Mengo (Adjacent to the premises that are opposite the Masengere Building that is within the Bulange precincts).
Deadline: 1st July 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline