Job Title: Accountant
Funding Source: USAID
Project: Fistula Care Plus
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Finance and Operations Officer
Job Code: 987
EngenderHealth is a leading global women’s health organization committed to ensuring that every pregnancy is planned, every child is wanted, and every mother has the best chance at survival. In 20 countries around the world, we train health care professionals and partner with governments and communities to make high-quality family planning and sexual and reproductive health services available—today and for generations to come.
About Fistula Care Plus Project:
EngenderHealth Uganda received an award (cooperative agreement) by USAID for a Fistula Care plus project whose objective is to strengthen health system capacity for fistula prevention, detection, treatment and reintegration. The project will strengthen environments to enable for fistula prevention and treatment, increase community awareness and support for women and girls with fistula, reduce barriers to accessing prevention, detection, and care, and improve the evidence base for approaches to improve fistula care in the districts of Hoima, Masaka, Kalungu and Kasese.
Job Summary: The Accountant will support the operations of the Uganda Country Office. This will include providing support to the data entry of the accounting and finance transactions and the preparations of financial reports.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support to operations and administrative processes and procedures including the development, implementation and review of policies, procedures, guidelines and other systems necessary for realization of growth, development and sustainability of the administration department.
- Offer support in reviewing and analyzing sub-grantees quarterly financial reports and transactions relating but not limited to;- review of all vouchers, verification of all program expenditure, review of VAT reports, etc) to ensure compliance with the Agreement and Donor requirements.
- In charge of the preparation of the monthly payroll by 21st of each month including preparation of the accruals of severance, vacation and maintain the office leave balance records and submit to the Senior Finance and Operations Officer.
- Actively participate in both internal and external audits for the country office.
- Compile cost share documentation for EH country office and sub grantees and submit to Senior Finance & Operations Officer.
- Prepare and submit monthly statutory returns (NSSF, PAYE, WHT and LST) to respective tax authorities.
- Monthly reconciliation of staff advances to ensure compliance.
- Reconcile Quick books balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis.
- Review activity budgets in reference to the approved country office budget and seek approval from the budget holders and Country Manager.
- Review completeness of all petty cash requests and vouchers before approval by the Senior Finance and Operations Officer
- Keep records of VAT payments and submit documentation to USAID for reimbursement
- Prepare and submit Quarterly and annual VAT reports to the Senior Finance and Operations Officer
- Remain abreast of EH SOPs and Donor rules and regulations and provide guidance to program staff as required.
- Act as the focal liaison with the bank on general issues including exchange rates, banking/withdrawals etc.
- Perform any other responsibilities as may be assigned to this position in general support of the EH activities
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the USAID EngenderHealth Accountant career opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s degree in accounting, Business Administration or a related field from a recognized institution.
- Professional certification of CPA or ACCA.
- At least five years’ experience as an accountant in an NGO. Experience working with USAID, CDC funded projects is an added advantage.
- Broad working knowledge of Generally Acceptable Accounting and Auditing Principals and laws, rules and regulations related to accounting.
- Computer literacy skills with excellent hands-on experience in use of accounting packages/programs especially QuickBooks, Excel and Word is required.
- High level of integrity with excellent interpersonal skills, people management and team player
- Proven technical expertise in the accounting and operations field.
- Experience in working and collaborating with various donors and sub guarantees
- Proven ability to pay attention to detail with strong analytical and result oriented skills
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and work on multiple tasks with minimum supervision.
How to Apply:
All interested job applicants should visit our website’s career page at the web link below to submit your details online.
Deadline: 17th June 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline