Organisation: Heifer International
Duty Station: Kampala, Mbarara and Kamuli Uganda
Heifer International is a global not-for-profit organization founded in 1944 in the United States of America, works with resource constrained families in 125 countries worldwide to develop innovative solutions to the underlying causes of hunger, poverty and environmental degradation. Heifer has helped empower millions of families in more than 38 countries to lift themselves out of poverty and hunger to self-reliance through gifts of extensive training, livestock, seeds and trees, providing a multiplying source of food and income.
Job Summary: The Trainers - Rural Yoghurt Production and Business Development will start up new yoghurt businesses in rural areas and coach small and growing businesses to achieve the goals of the fermented food for life’ project. The trainers will also work in close collaboration with the Project Coordinator to ensure successful, innovative, efficient, and effective functioning of all yoghurt producers in the program through production of high-quality yoghurt, effective use of applicable marketing techniques and proper financial management.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Yoghurt Production:
- Work in close collaboration with the Project Coordinator, update the different training packages/modules, business plan models and training materials
- Work in close coordination with the Project Coordinator, select and asses suitable entities for yoghurt production in the selected areas, taking into account the motivation of the group, availability of milk, structures and technologies already in place, and options at the demand side
- Mentor and train selected groups on the production of yoghurt, coach and guide groups on solving quality issues and building capacity of group members in this area,
- Offer support groups on acquiring packaging material and accessing inputs to the yoghurt business.
2. Yoghurt Enterprise Development:
- Offer technical support to yoghurt producers in exploring business opportunities along the value chain of yoghurt
- Provide support to yoghurt producers in preparing business plans and track the implementation, evaluate bottlenecks and provide solutions to increase efficiency and effectiveness of the yoghurt producers
- Offer technical support in establishing and operating market structures (e.g., milk collection, processing facilities, distribution, etc.) and establishing marketing information systems among value chain actors
3. Yoghurt Producers governance and management:
- Facilitate and monitor business management and governance as groups develop into yoghurt producers and coordinate their registration process
- Coordinate and build up linkages and networks with the appropriate policy makers and other stakeholders
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Bachelor’s degree in food technology, dairy technology, food microbiology or a related field is required with one year of experience or Diploma in the same, plus three (3) years of experience in the food sector as well as in business administration.
- Working knowledge and experience in food production and the dairy value chain
- Practical experience in business and development
- Working knowledge and experience of working with the private sector
- Practical experience in setting up and thus nurturing small and medium scale enterprises with special emphasis on cottage based food processing.
- Good qualities to train, educate and coach groups and individuals
- Excellent communication skills
- Skills with Microsoft Office Suite, internet browser, and other appropriate technology
- Motivated to work responsibly with little supervision
- Proven ability to meet and deal with others in a courteous and tactful manner
- Ability to produce and present adequate reports
- Ability and willingness to work with a flexible schedule
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively, including using public transport
- Fluent in major local language/s and English, both spoken and written
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should hand drop their application letter including an updated CV, related certificates and three professional references to:
The Country Director,
Heifer International Uganda,
Plot 6 Clement Hill Road, Nakasero.
P.O. Box 28491 Kampala. Uganda.
NB: Please clearly indicate your preferred location.
Deadline: 17th June, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline