Job Title: Study Research Assistant (2 Job Careers)
Organisation: Mbarara University of Science and Technology and Massachusetts Hospital (MUST-MGH Research Collaboration)
Duty Station: Mbarara, Uganda
The collaboration between Mbarara University of Science and Technology and Massachusetts Hospital (MUST-MGH Research Collaboration) focuses on epidemiological research in the area of HIV/AIDS. This study aims to understand the impact of adding resistance testing to routine HIV/AIDS care in sub-Saharan Africa.
Job Summary: The Study Research Assistant will be responsible for the implementation of study protocols in collaboration with the US and Ugandan Principal Investigators, Mbarara-based research team, and other collaborators. The incumbent will be directly responsible for participant recruitment, consenting, enrollment, questionnaire data collection, data entry, data quality assurance, and phlebotomy. This position will report directly to the Project Coordinator.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recruit, enroll, and consent participants for the study;
- Verbally administer questionnaires to participants and record response with electronic tablets;
- Carry out clinical chart review for data collection;
- Draw blood and handle specimen for laboratory testing;
- Collect and enter laboratory result data;
- Participate in participant retention activities, including contacting patients and, if necessary, tracking them at home
- Actively participate in data quality assurance practices, including weekly review of data entry;
- Manage and disseminate results to participants and his/her authorized healthcare provider;
- Work closely with the Project Coordinator to monitor the effectiveness of protocols and interview strategies;
- Participate in weekly meetings with the study staff and Principal Investigator;
- Store all files in a protected file cabinet in the study offices;
- Prepare and submit weekly reports of study work to the study staff and Principal Investigators;
- Conduct all work in compliance with internationally recognized ethical standards;
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a Bachelor’s degree in a health-related field is required;
- Previous experience in conducting research surveys and working in a medical environment is a requirement;
- Previous experience in HIV/AIDS programs and services is highly desirable;
- Prior exposure and experience with word processing on a computer and with use of smartphones and/or tablets is a must;
- Previous experience with clinic-based field research is a plus;
- Significant experience with data management and quality control, is required.
- Competency with phlebotomy is required;
- Proven ability to work well in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision is essential;
- Knowledge of research ethics is essential.
- Written and spoken fluency in English and Runyankole is required.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their application letters with a detailed CV attached, academic papers naming at least two professional references, should be addressed to:
The Human Resource Manager,
MUST Grants Office,
P.O. Box 1410 Mbarara. Uganda or hand deliver to Room 5 in Anatomy Block at Mbarara University of Science and Technology.
Deadline: Friday 15th July, 2016.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline