Job Title: Quality Specialist - Laboratory
Organization: Management Sciences for Health (MSH)
Project Name: USAID TRACK TB Project
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Quality Advisor
Job ID: 13-9034
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is an international non-profit health organization composed of nearly 2500 people from more than 74 nationalities working in over 50 countries. Our mission is to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Together with our partners, we are helping managers and leaders in developing countries to create stronger management systems that improve health services for the greatest health impact.
About USAID TRACK TB Project:
The TRACK TB Project is a USAID -funded program in Uganda that provides technical assistance to the National Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control Program (NTLP).The goal of TRACK TB project is to increase Tuberculosis (TB) Case Detection Rate (CDR) and Treatment Success Rate (TSR) in Kampala and USAID supported districts in TB/HIV, to meet national targets for reducing the burden of TB; MDR-TB and TB/HIV co infection. To strengthen the capacity of the NTLP, the project will implement innovative strategies to improve TB control in Kampala and existing USAID supported districts to reduce the TB related morbidity and mortality.
Job Summary: The Quality Specialist – Laboratory will primarily be responsible for maintaining a comprehensive quality assurance system for TB laboratory services at the project supported sites, including diagnosis of TB, sputum sample referral and quality control of TB diagnostic tests. The incumbent will work closely with the National TB Reference Laboratory (NTRL), KCCA and the facility laboratory teams to ensure an effective laboratory network oversight role by the NTRL, including technical support in the scale up and optimization of the available Gene Xpert equipment in the country.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work in close collaboration with the NTRL to enhance its capacity to oversee the national TB laboratory network
- Work in liaison with the NTLP/NTRL to monitor and ensure availability of laboratory commodities and supplies at the supported sites
- Keenly monitor TB sample referral at the project supported sites and support to address the identified gaps
- Support GeneXpert implementation in the project supported sites, ensuring uniform implementation of the diagnostic algorithm and use of the recording and reporting tools
- Regularly monitor performance of the Gene Xpert sites in the project supported areas and support reporting of utilization data to the NTRL/NTLP
- Support MDR TB surveillance activities in the project supported sites and linkage of identified drug resistant cases to MDR treatment centers for treatment initiation
- Work in close collaboration with the NTRL and the facility teams, support and coordinate an effective external quality assurance program for sputum microscopy and Genexpert testing in the project supported sites
- Work in liaison with the NTRL/NTLP, to support the decentralization of External Quality Assurance to the regional hospital laboratories, ensuring capacity building at the regions and monitoring of the service
- Support capacity building activities for the laboratory staff at the project supported sites through training, supervision/mentorship and provision of standard operating procedures for quality management of TB laboratory services.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the USAID TRACK TB Project should preferably hold a bachelor’s degree in laboratory sciences or its equivalent from a recognized University
- Possession of a post graduate qualification in Project Planning and Management or Public health will be of added advantage. Additional training in Good Laboratory Practice is a must
- A minimum of three years of demonstrated and progressive experience in laboratory related work from bench work in a facility/ research setting to programming of laboratory services/program
- Proven ability to plan, schedule, organize, and coordinate quality assurance programs in laboratory services with good understanding of how to assess lab performance using quality performance indicators
- Strong writing and computer skills.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the Management Sciences for Health in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to Apply Online by clicking on the link below.
Deadline: 7th September, 2016
Deadline: 7th September, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline