Job Title: ICT Associate
Organization: UN WOMEN
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Operations Manager
About UN WOMEN:
The UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, the UN Women leads and coordinates the United Nations system-wide efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action. It provides strong and coherent leadership and technical advice in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Job Summary: The ICT Associate provides leadership in execution of ICT services in the CO, implements ICT management systems and strategies, provides daily technical support to users of information management tools and technology infrastructure. The incumbent is responsible for review and advice on the use of new technologies that will enhance the CO productivity. The ICT Associate promotes a client-oriented approach. The ICT Associate works in close collaboration with the Management, Operations, Programme and project teams in the CO and UN Women HQs staff for resolving complex ICT-related issues, collaborates with Regional ICT staff.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. The incumbent ensures implementation of ICT strategies and introduction/implementation of new technologies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure compliance with corporate information management and technology standards, guidelines and procedures for the CO technology environment;
- Provision of inputs to elaboration of internal policies and procedures on the use of ICT. Elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in ICT in consultation with office management;
- Responsible for the development and update of the ICT annual plan;
- Provision of support to the use of Atlas (UN WOMEN’s implementation of PeopleSoft ERP) functionality for improved business results and improved client services.
2. Ensures effective functioning of the CO hardware and software packages focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Provision of advice on maintenance of equipment and acquisition of hardware supplies, making routine repairs and change of hardware electronic components;
- Supervision of the implementation of corporate UN WOMEN systems;
- Development of new software packages for high impact results (e.g. office management system, electronic registry, etc.) as required.
3. Ensures efficient networks administration focusing on achievement of the following results:
- In charge of the operation of network utility procedures defining network users and security attributes establishing directories, menus and drive-mappings, configuring network printers and providing user access.
- Ensure that the UN WOMEN desktop and network resources are protected from malicious virus attacks and deploy countermeasures in the event of the attacks;
- Troubleshooting and monitoring of network problems;
- Response to user needs and questions regarding network access;
- In charge of the maintenance of up-to-date parameters of information for the network clients and electronic mail;
- Implementation of backup and restoration procedures for local drives. Maintenance of backup logs. Organization of off-site storage of backups;
- Maintenance of measures in place for business continuity and disaster recover processes and procedures including backup and restoration of both server and local storage facilities;
- Timely LAN Infrastructure and Internet connectivity upgrade to meet UN WOMEN requirements.
4. Provides web management services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- In charge of the identification of the opportunities and ways of converting business processes into web-based systems to address the issues of efficiency (office management system, donor profile software, knowledge management systems);
- Creation and maintenance of the CO web site and intranet ensuring that the content is updated and meets the requirements of UN WOMEN.
5. Provides administrative support focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of advice on and assistance in procurement of new equipment for the CO and projects, provision of technical specifications and information on best options in both local and international markets, review of quotations and bids;
- In charge of the maintenance of an up-to-date inventory of the software and hardware;
- Maintenance of the library of reference materials;
- Maintenance of the inventory and stock of supplies and spare parts in cooperation with the Procurement Unit.
6. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification and promotion of different systems and applications for optimal content management, knowledge management and sharing, information provision;
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on ICT issues;
- In charge of the maintenance of staff training profiles;
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in ICT;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the United Nations UNICEF ICT Associate career vacancy should hold a University Degree in Computer Science;
- Professional Cisco Certified Network Engineer (CCNE) and Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) or Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) required.
- A minimum of three years of working experience in IT network administration and use of hardware/software, telecommunications facilities, knowledge of database packages, experience in web design.
- Language: Fluency in English and any local language in duty station.
Integrity: Demonstrating consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
Cultural Sensitivity/Valuing diversity:
- Demonstrating an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
- Demonstrating an international outlook, appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values: Promoting Ethics and Integrity / Creating Organizational Precedents.
- Building support and political acumen.
- Developing and Empowering People / Coaching and Mentoring:
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation.
Working in Teams:
- Building and promoting effective teams.
- Communicating Information and Ideas:
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication.
Self-management and Emotional intelligence:
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization;
- Conflict Management / Negotiating and Resolving Disagreements.
Knowledge Sharing / Continuous Learning: Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking.
- Building Strategic Partnerships:
- Maintaining information and databases;
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives;
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing;
- Basic research and analysis;
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches.
- Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures;
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Promoting Organizational Change and Development:
- Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change;
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions.
Design and Implementation of Management Systems:
- Data gathering and implementation of management systems;
- Uses information/databases/other management systems.
- Maintains effective client relationships;
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Responds to client needs promptly.
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management:
- Gathering and disseminating information;
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the United Nations UNICEF in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to visit the link below to Apply.
Deadline: 23rd May 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline