Job Title: Finance Assistant
Organization: World Food Programme (WFP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Position Grade: G5
Reference Number: 16-0021219
The UN World Food Programme (WFP) is the United Nations frontline agency against world hunger. It is the largest and longest serving humanitarian agency in Uganda. Currently WFP focuses on three priority areas namely: Emergency Humanitarian Action (EHA); Food & Nutrition Security (FNS); and Agriculture & Market Support (AMS). WFP has operations in various parts of the Country.
Job Summary: The Finance Assistant will support the UN World Food Programme (WFP) office through the effective delivery of finance, budget and administration support services in order to facilitate transparent and efficient utilization of financial resources
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in providing the procedural and technical support to staff within the areas of finance and budget, to ensure compliance with WFP financial policies, rules and regulations;
- Monitor the sub-imprest bank and petty cash accounts regularly, to ensure that adequate funds are available and appropriately disbursed;
- Regularly monitor monthly expenditure forecasts and provide expenditure reports in order to facilitate informed decision-making
- Keenly verify vendor claims, advances and other receivables and observe appropriate procurement procedures, to ensure that suppliers are paid in a timely manner and in conformance with WFP finance rules and regulations;
- Assist in compiling information from various sources in order to prepare reports relating to budgets, accounting, finance and statistics;
- Retrieve, format and validate information obtained from various financial information systems and bring any discrepancy or inaccuracy to the attention of the supervisor and follow up corrective actions;
- Update and maintain the web-based register for all invoices and payment transfers and record paperwork, to ensure that all documents are maintained and filed in compliance with WFP standards and guidelines;
- Regularly monitor and record all expenses in line with the approved budget in order to ensure that correct expenditure costs are charged and payments to external suppliers, cash grants and other supplier invoices are processed in a timely manner;
- Provide guidance and on-the-job training to other support staff, to ensure services are delivered consistently and to the required standards;
- Perform any other related duties as required by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants for the United Nations UN World Food Programme (WFP) Finance Assistant career vacancy should hold a University degree in Business Studies, Finance, Accounting or Commerce or any other related field or a diploma supplemented with additional years of relevant experience obtained from a recognised institution;
- At least four years relevant work experience in the field of finance, accounting, audit, or other related field, gained from a reputable organisation;
- Broad working knowledge of modern Accounting methods and knowledge of standard finance software packages and systems;
- Previous experience collecting and monitoring financial data on projects and programmes;
- Skilled in assessing financial health and status, and reporting findings to senior leaders;
- Good knowledge and skills in using MS Office applications;
- Excellent command of English is vital.
How to Apply:
All candidates who desire to join the United Nations World Food Programme to submit their applications online, Click Here
Step 1: Register and create your online CV
Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
NB: You must complete Step 1 and 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Deadline: 5th June 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline