Job Title: Finance Assistant
Organization: United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: 59904
Reports to: Manager Financial Reports
The Regional Service Centre Steering Committee is the decision-making body for RSCE, in compliance with General Assembly resolutions, United Nations Secretariat rules and regulations, strategic guidance from United Nations Headquarters and oversight bodies. The Steering Committee consults with the Global Field Support Strategy Implementation Coordination Team, as required.
The Regional Service Centre, as approved by the Member States, is owned, managed and staffed by the regional missions it serves. This framework reinforces the existing missions’ chain of command structures and lines of authority in a manner that does not create an additional layer between Headquarters and the regional missions. It also ensures that staffing for RSC.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Manager Financial Reports, the Finance Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assist in the closing of monthly accounts;
- Scrutinize source documents for completeness, accuracy and validity of reported figures and underlying transactions.
- Render support in the monitoring of expenditures to ensure they remain within authorized levels.
- Assist with the reviews and clearing of open item managed (OIM) accounts.
- Revise accounts payable (AP) and accounts receivable (AR) balances and communicating any discrepancies to supervisors.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliation on monthly basis.
- Prepare supporting documents (narrative and supporting tables) with respect to finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements.
- Assist the Finance Officers in extracting information and generating expenditure reports from computerized information system databases; assist in preliminary analyses of the extracted information and the reports generated, and highlight areas of concern for the attention of the Finance Officers.
- Support managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
- Carry out research and provide support to higher level Finance Officers with respect to budget reviews of relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies.
- Monitor expenditures generated in UMOJA/SAP and compare with approved budget; prepare adjustments as necessary.
- Assist in preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports, highlighting variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
- Keenly review status of relevant expenditures and compare them with the approved budget; monitor integrity of various financial databases.
- Prepare data input for allotments received, ensuring consistency of data in previous allotments to new allotments issued.
- Co-ordinate with other finance / reporting staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports.
- Keep up-to-date on guidelines that have bearing on matters related to programme/peacekeeping budgets, ensuring compliance with United Nations policies and procedures and support the overall IPSAP and UMOJA implementation.
- The jobholder organizes and leads training sessions on UMOJA funds management and payment processing for mission support/ self-accounts units
- Draft/prepare memoranda and cables to various offices, sectors, other field missions and/or headquarters.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations Finance Assistant career opportunity should have completed a High school diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of six years of progressively responsible experience within the United Nations system in finance, administration, budget, business administration is required. Experience in the use of ERP systems is desirable.
- Languages: Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of financial principles and practices. Ability to independently conduct research and analysis, formulate options and present conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
NB: The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (Application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates desiring to serve the United Nations Regional Service Centre at Entebbe (RSCE) in the aforementioned capacity should express their interest by visiting the UN recruitment website and clicking Apply Now.
Deadline: 25th May 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline