Job Title: Training Specialist
Organisation: United States Embassy US Peace Corps
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Director of Programming and Training
Vacancy Announcement No.: 2016-008
About US Embassy:
Welcome to the United States Embassy in Kampala, Uganda. The United States has enjoyed diplomatic relations with Uganda for over 30 years. Ambassador Scott H. DeLisi currently heads the U.S Mission to Uganda. The Mission is composed of several offices and organizations all working under the auspices of the Embassy and at the direction of the Ambassador.
Among the offices operating under the U.S Mission to Uganda are:
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Peace Corps
About Peace Corps in Uganda:
Peace Corps is an international autonomous agency of the US Government with operations in over 65 countries. It operates in Uganda by the invitation of the Government of Uganda. Peace Corps Uganda has a memoranda of understanding with government ministries that outline broad areas of agreement of cooperation regarding the work of Peace Corps Volunteers in Uganda. Volunteers are assigned to government and non-government agencies and organizations, community based organizations, universities, colleges and schools who partner to enable Volunteers to provide capacity building in Literacy Education, Health, Agriculture and Medical and Nursing Education; also aims to build cultural understanding between Americans and Ugandans.
Job Summary: The Training Specialist will offer temporary support by ensuring consistent training quality in Peace Corps approaches and standards that can be used to address all training events led by staff, PCVs and external instructors. The Training Specialist will work closely with the Training Manager and LODM to design, plan, implement, coordinate, monitor and assess training sessions and training events (PSTs, ISTs, and JITs).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The jobholder develops, documents and disseminates a cohesive Pre-Service Training (PST) and In-Service Training (IST) curricula that includes core and sectoral competencies, objectives, content scope, sessions and sequence in line with Peace Corps HQ designed and post developed training goals and objectives
- Renders support in analyzing and assessing training and development needs for Trainees, Volunteers, Trainers and Peace Corps partner participants like Counterparts for ISTs and JITs
- Formulates training outlines and determines instructional methods utilizing knowledge of specified training needs and effectiveness of such methods such as individual training, group instruction, lectures, demonstrations and workshops
- The incumbent also selects and develops training and learning aids including training handbooks, practicum models, multimedia visual aids, e-learning
- Develops and integrates tools, processes and systems to evaluate effectiveness of training and programs, and utilizes relevant evaluation data to revise or recommend changes in instructional objectives and methods
- Carries out an inventory of needed training resources and identify additional requirements for effective Volunteer training
- Acts as Master Trainer and reviews instructor performance and recommends improvements to the program content and instructor presentation methods. May support the recruitment, selection, and training of instructors
- Is present during all training events and sessions to organize the learning space, ensure trainers’ and participants’ timely attendance, carry out observation and give feedback to Trainers, support the meeting of training objectives and ensure quality training
- The jobholder supports the design, planning of training content for the Training Design and Evaluation (TDE) Workshops and Training of Trainers for Pre-Service and In-Service Trainings
- Offers support in the design, planning and implementations of the In Service and Just In Time Trainings (JITs) for Peace Corps Uganda. This will involve design and evaluation activities
- With the MRE Specialist, develops and administers observation and feedback tools to Volunteers and other participants and report findings to the Training manager, Program Managers, DPT and training staff for use in designing and delivering of training events
- Designs and deliver trainings in area of expertise
- Serves as Training Coordinator in charge in the absence of the Training Manager
- Maintains up-to-date information regarding relevant adult education and training techniques; contact lists of relevant local organizations, institutions, and agencies; and other published resources including reference texts, professional journals and other similar information; and make the information readily available to staff and Volunteers
- Keenly analyzes data, disseminates to Program and Training staff for feedback and use in design of future trainings
- Documents finding and compiles reports as appropriate
- Serve as Training Coordinator in charge at training events in the absence of the Training Manager. Draft a complete guide to document that role.
- Performs any other duties as assigned
Key Performance Indicators:
- Construct four training books, with a table of contents, as follows:
- PST Training Book for Core trainings,
- PST Training Book for Health Sectoral Technical Training,
- PST Training Book for Agribusiness Sectoral Technical Training and
- PST GTOT Training Book.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the United States Peace Corps Training Specialist career placement should hold a Bachelor’s degree in a field of study relevant for development, training and adult education; curriculum development;
- A minimum of three years’ experience with relevant government agencies, higher institutions of learning, not-for-profit organizations, or private businesses.
- Excellent computer skills,
- Ability to work independently with little supervision;
- Good training and Facilitation skills, good leadership, organization and time management skills;
- Willingness to take the initiative; excellent teamwork skills, strong service attitude; personal integrity; strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community, strong interest in Uganda’s development; and ability to travel as needed
- Comprehensive knowledge of training plan, curriculum design and development
- Knowledge of implementation and facilitation of technical, operational, and/or specialty training events and program
- Ability to assess training needs and objectives, design, develop, implement, and evaluate responsive Training programs and initiatives including training plans, curricula, and methodology
- Knowledge of instructional strategies, curriculum standards, and assessment
- Ability to work on a regular Monday through Friday schedule with occasional evening and weekend hours when necessary.
- Preferred qualifications: cross cultural training experience with Americans; ability to train trainers; study and/or experience in agriculture, development, community health, teaching or teacher training.
- Excellent command of English, both spoken and written; native ability in spoken and written at least one Ugandan language;
Note: Applicant must be legally able to work in Uganda
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications via Email. (Please do not attach academic credentials to the email). The complete applications should include a Microsoft Word formatted letter of interest, resume, names and contacts information for three references which should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please clearly indicate ONLY the POSITION applied for on the subject line of your cover email as well on all the attachments. For example "Katungu Bonita_ Training Specialist" for this vacancy. Do not write any other words in the subject line of your mail. If called for an interview, you will be expected to bring a reference letter from your area Local Council (LC1) as well as your academic credentials. If non-Ugandan, please show your work permit.
Deadline: 19th May 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline