Job Title: Research and Grants Manager
Organisation: Uganda Protestant Medical Bureau (UPMB)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Uganda Protestant Medical Bureau (UPMB) was founded in 1957 as a registered faith based Non-Governmental Organization under the Trustees Incorporation Act (CAP 165) as Registered Trustees of the Uganda Protestant Medical Bureau. UPMB brings together Protestant Churches in Uganda involved in Provision of Health Services. It serves as a link between Government and / or Development Partners and UPMB-Member Institutions and provides support to its members through capacity strengthening, coordination, lobbying and Advocacy, public relations and translation of government policies.
Job Summary: The Research and Grants Manager will primarily be responsible for initiating and implementing major research and grant fundraising drives for the organization. The job holder will work closely with the Executive Director to identify funding needs and compile applications.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure UPMB’s assisted health and other programmes/ projects promote collaboration and cooperation with other partners where applicable
- The incumbent will also represent UPMB at relevant events to ensure that it is acknowledged as a legitimate partner/actor
- Represent UPMB on the National stakeholder working groups and committees, health advisory committees and Ministry of Health
- Instill a sense of common purpose and destiny throughout the UPMB Member units through inspiration and striving for excellence
- In charge of managing the research process at UPMB
- Generate call for grants and manage response to them
- Identify funders through contacting potential partners; discovering and exploring opportunities.
- Arrange communicate and disseminate research findings improvement in service delivery offer advocacy services as determined by the ED and Board
- Build networks and collaborate with other similar organizations in terms of grant writing and management
- Evaluate and manage call for small grants
- Work closely with the Executive Director you will be responsible for compile an activity schedule for applications, complete proposals
- Work closely with the Executive Director to identify funding needs and compile applications
- Manage communications with probably donors of donors and to keep Management informed of the progress
- Maintain full records for all donations by maintaining database and paper files
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Board
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Master’s degree in public health with a Bachelor’s degree in Social sciences, development studies or humanities.
- A minimum of five years’ research experience
- A minimum of five years’ experience in NGO work in Uganda with health service exposure
- Previous experience working in Church based institutions, with a very good grasp of health sector goals, and policies.
- Strong team building and strategic planning skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Good networking and advocacy skills.
- Working experience in fundraising and financing interlinkages with other sectors and development partners
- Sound leadership skills
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Communication and negotiation skills
- Capable of managing significant budgets.
- An all-round strategic focused person
- High degree of work ethics, integrity and confidentiality
- Good problem solving and decision making skills
- Very high level of integrity and honesty
- Proven skills in advocacy and networking
- Ability to use research findings to influence policy at national District level.
- Possess excellent skills and knowledge in proposal writing and fundraising
- Skills and abilities in qualitative and quantitative Research methodology
- Working knowledge of computer based data analysis using programs NVINVO for qualitative data analysis, Excel STATA or SPSS for quantitative data analysis is a MUST
- The applicant should have some local or better yet international publications of peers to prove research potential
- Excellent communication skills and an advocate for the organization
- Excellent resource mobilization skills
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications with e-mail addresses, telephone numbers and two references addressed to:
The Executive Director
Uganda Protestant Medical Bureau
P.O. Box 4127 Kampala, Uganda
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 30th May 2016