Job Title: Project Engineer
Organisation: Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF)
Project Name: Vegetable Oil Development Project Phase 2 (V0DP2)
Funding Source: International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Project Manager
The Vegetable Oil Development Project Phase 2 (V0DP2) is implemented by the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF) funded by IFAD and Government of Uganda (GOU). The V0DP2 goal is to contribute to sustainable poverty reduction in the project area. The Development objective is to increase the domestic production of vegetable oil and its’ by products, thus raising rural incomes for smallholder producers and ensuring the supply of affordable vegetable oil products to Ugandan consumers and neighboring regional markets. VODP2 has three components; the Oil palm Development Component, the Oilseeds Development Component and the Project Management Component. Through the project, Government of Uganda is investing in the development of oilseed crops (sunflower, soybean, sesame & groundnuts) value chains in fifty one districts in Eastern and Northern Uganda, and cultivation of oil palm in Kalangala and Buvuma Districts.
Job Summary: The Project Engineer will be responsible for initiating, executing and coordinating civil works in liaison with other Ministry/Project teams to ensure quality and timely implementation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In charge of planning and designing civil works for the project such projects as roads, ferry landing sites, buildings etc, to ensure they are built according to professionally agreed standards;
- Ensure approval of new infrastructure projects are duly done by local and central Government authorities before projects are implemented;
- Responsible for developing scope of work including specifications, bills of quantities, TORs, architectural and work drawings of all civil works related projects;
- Providing technical back-up and advice to farmers and local governments to plan for farm infrastructure in project areas;
- Pre-reviewing and post-reviewing of the bidding documents especially regarding the technical specifications and plans of work;
- Supervising all civil, mechanical and electrical works for constructions, operations and maintenance activities at project sites;
- In charge of reviewing and recommending requests for contract variations for timely and necessary action, issue any required variations or change orders;
- Supervising and monitoring civil works by service providers to meet all performance and delivery obligations;
- Ensure contract management records are kept and archived as required;
- In charge of managing handover and acceptance procedures, submit reports on the progress or completion of the contracts as required;
- Performing any other duties that may assigned from time to time by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should be a Ugandan in possession of an honors Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent qualifications in the field of construction and public works, from a recognized university or institution;
- Post graduate qualifications will be an added advantage
- The applicant must be a registered Engineer with a Professional recognized body
- At least four (04) years’ experience in the field of construction and/ or public works, including the supervision and monitoring of road sites
- Good knowledge of PPDA procurement procedures and practical experience in the preparation of tender documents and tender evaluations;
- Previous experience working with district Local Governments In Uganda is an added advantage;
- Prior exposure and experience in working with community-based organizations and knowledge of local languages will be an asset;
- Use of GIS technologies is an added advantage.
- High level of integrity
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a team player
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Ability to take initiative, function with minimal supervision and meet tight deadlines
- Should be able to travel on water and be ready to spend long periods in the field, outside of Kampala
How to Apply:
All interested candidates should send sealed applications, curriculum vitae and copies of the academic documents should be submitted to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries, Open Registry, P.O. Box 102, Entebbe, Uganda. Please indicate the position being applied for on top of the envelope.
Deadline: 27th May 2016.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline