Job Title: Printing and Publishing Manager
Organisation: Uganda Printing and Publishing Corporation (UPPC)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Managing Director
Uganda Printing and Publishing Corporation (UPPC) is a body corporate established by the UPPC Act 1992 Cap.30 as a leading Government printer mandated to provide printing and publishing facilities to the government ministries, departments, and parastatal bodies .private companies, individuals and organizations. The corporation prints and publishes all government legislation and documents and undertakes security printing works.
Job Summary: The Printing and Publishing Manager will primarily ensure the effectiveness and efficiency along the production value chain process by managing all activities of printing and publishing, scope of work, including day- today management of desk top designs, pre-press, printing, finishing and dissemination of all UPPC’s documents and publications. Integration of emerging publishing technologies across all aspects of operations is a vital role.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Production processes for effective work delivery:
- Schedules and manages timely and quality production of all printed matter, including desk top publishing, color separations, films and plate processing, offset printing, duplicating, photocopying and print finishing.
- Develops and sets quality standards for the originals and to ensure printability
- The jobholder sets quality standards for all inputs, processes and outputs to achieve high and constant quality reproduction.
- Co-ordinates and effectively plans for timely production of jobs in the department;
- Initiates product and service innovations to foster the Corporation's competitiveness in the printing market;
- Ensures timely reporting on the availability of raw materials, work in progress, quality of finished products, status of machinery and status of client satisfaction proposing any improvements in the system;
- Develops preventive maintenance schedules for all production equipment and sets operational standards to optimize the lifespan of the equipment
- Offers technical advice to the substantive divisions/ sections with regard to expected quality on document production, advises on selection of better formats, input, substrates, printing processes and print finishing methods.
2. Oversight of effective utilization of Resources
- Ensures that quality printing and publishing works are delivered in time to clients in approved quantities.
- Ensures that daily production, stores and engineering reports from supervisors are checked;
- Regularly monitors accurate receipt, recording and processing of orders from customers;
- Manages external woks, performance, cost and services;
- Keenly analyses all production processes, periodically undertakes market surveys on emerging trends in the industry and advises management of acquisition of new equipment and replacements of Old and obsolete ones
- Decides on processes to be automated through application of new technology in'the Print industry in order to maintain reproduction cost and quality constant.
- Recommends and coordinates installation of new equipment, ensures staff training for new installations and ensures continuous staff training in all areas of production processes to set up a well-balanced technically sound workforce.
3. Operations and Management:
- Develops and implements strategic plans for the printing and publishing department.
- Ensures effective contract management by availing clear specifications of production requirements and proper accountability of the same;
- Puts systems in place to ensure proper value chain and production process management;
- Develops, mentors and manages departmental staff so as to create an effective and efficient working team;
- Confers with substantive Section Heads and converts their needs into manpower materials and machines, capacity for better utilization resource and meeting of delivery schedules
- Actively participates in Management meetings as member of UPPC’Senior Management team and head of department.
- Effectively controls, disciplines and ensures workshop cleanliness within the printing and publishing section;
- Ensures health and safety of staff in the factory;
- Attends management meetings;
- Maintains an exceptionally high standard of productivity in pursuance of UPPC strategic objectives.
- Carries out any other functions as assigned by Management from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold an MBA with an Honors Degree in Commercial Printing or any other related field
- Applicants with diplomas/certificates or any post graduate qualification(s) specifically in Printing from a reputable Institution is of an added advantage.
- A minimum of eight years’ experience at a management level position, five of which should have been gained at a senior level from a reputable printing organization;
- Broad knowledge, understanding and experience of Printing, Publishing, Designing and Marketing;
- High level skills and experience in Printing and familiar with a modern printing environment both nationally and internationally;
- Can easily adopt to new technological changes
- Ability to influence;
- High level of Integrity and ethical standards of personal conduct;
- Previous experience of managing, training and supporting staff and delegating responsibilities;
- Computer literacy and proficiency in Design Suite i.e. Illustrator, Photoshop, in design and Corel draw packages among others and Microsoft Office Suite (primarily MS word for reporting purposes).
NB: This is a re-advertisement so all those who applied earlier needn't apply again.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should hand deliver their applications including a CV and cover letter to:
The Managing Director,
Uganda Printing and Publishing Corporation,
Plot 8-12 Airport Road,
P.O. Box 33, Entebbe - Uganda.
E-mail to: email@example.com
E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 16th May 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline