Organisation: National Drug Authority (NDA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The National Drug Authority (NDA) is an autonomous body which was established by the National Drug Policy and Authority Act Cap 206, Laws of Uganda (2000 Edition) to regulate Human and Veterinary Medicines and other healthcare products. NDA’s mandate is to ensure quality, safety and efficacy of human and veterinary medicines and other healthcare products through the regulation and control of their production, importation, distribution and use.
Job Summary: The Head, National Drug Quality Control Laboratory will primarily oversee and co-ordinate all operations and administration of the National Drug Quality Control Laboratory and provide overall direction while ensuring optimum performance with available resources.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure timely quality control testing of all samples in conformity with ISO/lEC 17025 international standard and the relevant WHO guidelines.
- Ensure that the analytical results obtained accurately describe the properties of the samples assessed, permitting correct conclusions to be drawn about the quality of the samples of medicines, medical devices and public health products analyzed, and also serves as an adequate basis for any subsequent administrative and legal actions by NDA.
- The incumbent will be charge of the implementation of, and adherence to ISO/lEC 17025 standard, WHO Good Practices for Quality Control Laboratories and other relevant international and national standards and practices in the process of testing samples, quality management system and control of data and results so as to maintain the standards required by the WHO prequalification of the NDA laboratory and those of the accreditation body as per ISO/lEC 17025.
- Collaborate with other laboratories, regulatory and law enforcement agencies, manufacturers of pharmaceutical and other health products and the general public to foster partnership in drugs and health products quality, control and assurance.
- Ensure that specifications for all required equipment, chemical reference substances, chemicals and reagents, reference books and appropriate literature for use in the department are developed and recommended for procurement.
- Ensure the safe custody of all NDA equipment, chemicals and reagents, chemical reference substances and other materials, as well as documents used in the execution of department responsibilities.
- Provide leadership to staff in the department ensuring that effective support, capacity building, performance management and motivation strategies are applied to enable delivery of effective services and results.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor from time to time
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Master’s degree in any Pharmaceutical Science and a Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy OR Master’s degree in Chemistry and a Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy.
- Possession of a post graduate Qualification in Pharmaceutical Analysis. A post-graduate qualification in management is an added advantage
- At least ten years of post-qualification experience in Quality Control and Quality Assurance of pharmaceuticals with eight (8) years in a senior managerial position.
- Proficiency in Quality Control testing of medicines, public health chemicals, medical devices and related products.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of ISO/lEC 17025 standard and WHO Good Practices for Quality Control Laboratories.
- Previous exposure and experience in the use of computerized and automated laboratory equipment.
- Demonstrable experience setting performance targets, monitoring and appraising employee performance.
- Good understanding of national and international standards, norms and practices as they relate to drug regulation and control.
- Previous experience in Good Manufacturing Practice.
- Previous experience in product dossier assessment/evaluation.
- Proficient in MS Office computer programs (MS Word, MS Excel and MS Access).
- High integrity. .
- Good judgement.
NB: Those who applied earlier need not re- apply.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send their handwritten or or electronically application letters with a detailed CV and copies of academic certificates and transcripts, contact addresses and day time telephone numbers of three (3) work related referees; should be submitted to:
The Executive Director,
National Drug Authority,
Plot 46-48 Lumumba Avenue,
P O Box 23096,
E-mail to: email@example.com
Deadline: 31st May 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline