Job Title: Manager Airworthiness
Organisation: Civil Aviation Safety and Security Oversight Agency (CASSOA)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Executive Director-Technical
The Civil Aviation, Safety and Security Oversight Agency (CASSOA) is a specialized technical Institution of the East African Community with its headquarters in Entebbe, Uganda. The Institution is charged with the responsibility of ensuring the development of a safe and secure civil aviation system in the region.
Job Summary: The Manager Airworthiness will coordinate and manage the implementation of the safety oversight programmes and technical support to Partner States related to airworthiness as approved by the Board.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In charge of overseeing the airworthiness department of the Agency;
- In charge of participating in the evaluation of the status of aviation safety oversight in the Partner States through technical missions;
- In charge of developing and amending applicable technical guidance materials for EAC flight safety standards regulations to meet the international civil aviation standards and recommended practices.
- Responsible for developing and reviewing harmonised EAC flight safety standards (FSS) regulations to meet amendments to the international civil aviation standards and recommended practices.
- In charge of developing and implementing procedures for monitoring Partner States’ capability for oversight of international standards and formulate a common regional position.
- Convening and facilitating FSS Working Group meetings to formulate and review harmonised regulations and technical guidance materials.
- In charge of developing inputs and implementing procedures and guidelines to be followed in obtaining and sharing regional human resources for inspection activities, surveillance, audits and responding to requests for assistance in flight safety related matters.
- Developing and implementing annual airworthiness mission schedules for evaluation of aviation safety status, implementation of harmonised regulations and conformity to standardisation in the Partner States.
- Prepare the department’s Annual Programme of Activities and budget for approval by the Board.
- Work closely with the Human Resource department in developing training programmes and capacity building for inspectors including indoctrination; basic type certification, on-the-job and recurrent training on functions of the Airworthiness Inspectors in both the Agency and Partner States.
- Assisting/participating in the development and implementation of regional/state safety programmes and the safety management system;
- Assisting in carrying out a skills audit to develop a data bank in the region for the available and gap of skills in the region related to airworthiness.
- In charge of coordinating the operationalisation the harmonized EAC common personnel licensing examination system in the region.
- Performing any other related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold a Master’s degree in the relevant field or aviation management. He / she must also hold a University Degree in relevant field e.g. aeronautical, mechanical, electrical, electronic or telecommunication. An aircraft maintenance engineer’s license with ratings or appropriate approvals.
- At least eight years of management or supervisory experience with a civil aviation administration, directly associated with the preparation and responsibility for implementation of rules, regulations, airworthiness and flight operation related manuals deemed necessary for flight safety, inspection and certification.
- At least five years’ considerable aircraft maintenance experience at a senior level on modern, turbine aircraft or similar experience as an airworthiness inspector with type training on modern, turbine engine aircraft preferably of type operated in the region.
- Previous experience in the preparation, approval and use of airworthiness manuals and related flight operation documentations will be an added advantage
- Broad working knowledge of legal responsibilities and administrative procedures for the issuance of documents under State of Registry approval relating to supervision of airworthiness.
- Working knowledge of the requirements for personnel licensing systems, and of the training, and maintenance of competency of flight and ground crews concerned with airworthiness.
- Sound knowledge of ICAO Standards and Recommended Practices and related documentation (ICAO Annexes).
- Excellent communication and report writing skills.
- Proficiency in computer use and general IT applications.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, high degree of integrity.
- Age: Below 55 years old by 1st October, 2016
NB: The Agency is kindly requesting all applicants whose applications were sent via email at firstname.lastname@example.org between 15th March and 3rd April 2016 and did not get acknowledgment of receipts in their emails, to resend their applications again to the same email address email@example.com or their application hard copies to EACCASSOA office at the address below.
How to Apply:
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications quoting the job advert reference number of the position applied for either by registered mail, courier, or email (all soft copies should be in MS Word or Adobe Acrobat) and dispatch together with Curriculum Vitae, copies of national IDs or passports, copies of both academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three referees, and day time telephone/cell phone numbers to:
P.O. Box 873, Entebbe Uganda.
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 20th May, 2016
- Applicants who SENT HARDCOPIES OF THEIR APPLICATIONS SHOULD NOT RESEND their application documents.
- Only applicants who sent their applications VIA EMAIL BEFORE 4TH APRIL 2016 ARE REQUESTED TO RESEND THEIR APPLICATIONS.
- Applicants who sent applications VIA EMAIL AND RECEIVED ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF RECEIPTS SHOULD NOT RESEND THEIR APPLICATIONS.
- Please do not send multiple applications.
- Attachments for email applications should be in PDF FORMAT.
- THE POSITION APPLIED FOR AND THE REFERENCE NUMBER should be clearly mentioned in the email subject or on left hand top corner of the envelope.
Deadline: 20th May, 2016