Job Title: Legal Volunteer
Organization: Center for Health, Human Rights & Development (CEHURD)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Programme Manager
Center for Health, Human Rights & Development (CEHURD) is an indigenous, non-profit, research and advocacy organization, whose vision is “To realize social justice in public health systems.” CEHURD works with public, private and civil society organisations to ensure that public health laws are used as principle tools for the promotion and protection of public health of the vulnerable populations in Uganda.
About Volunteership Program:
The Long Term Volunteership Program will be for a period of between 6 – 12 months. The arrangement involves mentorship opportunities for the candidates to gain valuable experience and advice for career development in research, advocacy and litigation in the field of health and human rights.
Job Summary: The Legal Volunteer will work under the Strategic Litigation Programme and will be responsible for performing the tasks listed below towards supporting the litigation of human rights cases by CEHURD.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Legal Advisory and Representation:
- Meet and interview clients for the purpose of identifying their grievances and planning appropriate legal solutions
- The Volunteer will gather evidence and conduct legal research to inform any possible litigation cases or policy review processes
- Represent clients in all legal proceedings including but not limited to arbitrations, negotiation, settlement meetings, court proceedings and other legal proceedings,
- Draw up legal documents for the purposes of protecting the rights and interests of the clients and/or presenting their cases before any judicial or quasi-judicial body.
- Making Court appearances and diligent follow up of court and related processes.
- Guide clients on all legal issues especially issues relating to the protection and realization of their health and human rights,
- Interpret laws, rulings and regulations for the purposes of explaining the law to clients
- Identify and challenge obstacles to the realization of health and other human rights in Uganda
- Work in liaison with Programme Officers and Managers in CEHURD to engage those in charge of setting health policies to implement the solutions reached via research. This will include but not limited to preparing Policy or Research briefs, reports, testimonies for public hearings, presentations and petitions on health policies.
- Contribute towards ensuring timely, quality and accurate programme quarterly and annual reporting.
- Develop and expand CEHURD’s strategic relations and partnerships in litigation of the right to health especially sexual reproductive health rights.
- Undertake tasks in a creative, self-driven and innovative fashion.
- Identify and implement additional tasks/ideas of benefit to the organization (whether directly linked to one’s job or not).
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Law and a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Center or an equivalent qualification;
- Other Post Graduate qualifications in Human Rights and related fields will be an added advantage
- A minimum of two years’ experience working with court systems
- Adhere to CEHURD values and to actively promote their application amongst colleagues.
- Excellent analytical skills
- Good leadership skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Team skills
- Good resource mobilization skills
- Innovative spirit and willingness to use creative thinking.
How to Apply:
If you believe you are the ideal candidate for any of these opportunities, please submit your Curriculum Vitae, Copies of your academic documents and a cover letter in a sealed envelope, clearly indicating the position applied for on the “top left-hand side of the envelope” to:
The Operations Manager
Center for Health, Human Rights and Development
Plot 833, Old Kiira Road, Ntinda-Kiwatule
P.O. Box 16617, Wandegeya
Kampala – Uganda,
OR Email your application to: email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly indicating the position applied for in the subject line of the email.
Deadline: 6th June, 2016.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline