Job Title: Legal Officer
Organisation: Stanbic Bank
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Job ID: 17076
Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited is a subsidiary of Stanbic Africa Holdings Limited which is in turn owned by Standard Bank Group Limited (“the Group”), Africa’s leading banking and financial services group. The Standard Bank Group is the leading banking group focused on emerging markets. It is the largest African banking group ranked by assets and earnings. Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited is the largest bank in Uganda by assets and market capitalization. It offers a full range of banking services through two business units; Personal and Business Banking (PBB), and Corporate and Investment Banking (CIB).
Job Summary: The Legal Officer will actively contribute to the bank’s overall performance objectives by providing high quality legal advisory services to all stake holders.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In charge of providing legal opinions on day to day legal issues arising from Banker –customer
- Preparing and reviewing legal agreements between the bank and various counterparties such as service providers ,customers etc
- Guiding on legal compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Advising on complex credit and loan transactions.
- Designing ,structuring and negotiating loan agreements including loan workouts
- Implementation of foreclosures and sales of mortgaged securities for deliquent loans
- Evaluating legal matters for external legal advice and making appropriate recommendations for litigation
- Monitoring the litigation process in courts
- Negotiating out of court settlements on behalf of the Bank
- Providing a point of contact between the bank and its external legal advisors
- Scrutiny and verification of documents presented to the bank e.g. company documents, letters of Administration.
- Follow up on ex-staff undertaking or ensuring enforcement of the law against those that have defrauded the bank.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Bachelor of Laws
- Possession of a Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice
- A minimum of two years working experience in the banking industry
- Practising of banking law
- Broad working knowledge of the law and procedures
- In depth knowledge and experience in the practice of banking law
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Negotiation and legal drafting skills
- Ability to give prompt and accurate legal advice.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the one of Africa’s biggest Banking Groups, Standard Bank in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to Apply Online by visiting Link below.
Deadline: 19th May 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline