Job Title: Legal Officer
Organisation: Mercy Corps
Duty Station: Uganda
Mercy Corps is a leading global relief and development agency saving and improving lives in the world’s toughest places. In more than 40 countries, we partner with local people to put bold ideas into action, help them overcome adversity and build stronger communities. We help communities survive and move beyond emergencies. When natural disasters strike, economies collapse or conflict flares, Mercy Corps is there. Working with communities, we leverage local logic to help people transform their lives to grow more food, earn higher incomes and ultimately advocate for their needs. We see global challenges as an invitation to pioneer innovative, sustainable solutions.
Job Summary: The Legal Officer’s primary responsibilities will be categorized into: Legal awareness on land laws and policies, alternative dispute resolution through legal aid clinics, Capacity building of land administrative and management structures
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide legal advice to people on their Land Rights for during community outreaches and those who report to seek for advice in office
- Provide information on women’s Land Rights to the community, through radio talk shows and during community sensitizations
- Conduct community awareness on land rights
- The incumbent will refer intricate cases to other Legal Aid providers and courts of Laws
- Pass on information materials on Land Rights/policies/law to clients
- Systematically maintain proper records of clients visits to the Office for advise and mediation
- Write and submit reports on a routine basis, (weekly, monthly, quarterly reports)
- Work closely with other relevant institutions and departments of government that deal with land matters in order to optimize protection of peoples Land Rights of the people in Karamoja
- Perform any other function as shall be incidental to the above mentioned roles
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring positive recognition to Mercy Corps and to avoid endangering the organization’s mission;
- Perform any other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a degree in Law, LLB or its equivalence from a recognized institution. Possession of a certificate in legal practice will be added advantage
- At least three to five years’ experience in legal practice
- Familiarity of land laws and policies will be added advantage
- Broad knowledge and understanding of land tenure systems with specific focus on Karamoja and traditional land management structures in Karamoja is a great asset
- A strong team player, with good communication and diplomatic skills.
- Excellent analytical and information management skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work under/manage Stress.
- Flexible and creative in planning and problem solving.
- Keen attention to detail, ability to follow procedures and meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Skill in maintaining professional internal and external relationships.
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information both for the staff and the organization
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan candidates should send their applications including a cover letter clearly stating the salary requirements, updated CV (with three professional referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates to the Human Resource Manager, Kampala Head Office on 4th Floor Embassy Plaza, Plot 1188-1190 Ggaba Road. The E-mail applications with cover letter should be sent to: email@example.com
Deadline: 25th May 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline