Organisation: National Information Technology Authority-Uganda (NITA-U)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Director – Planning, Research & Development
The National Information Technology Authority-Uganda (NITA-U) was established as a statutory body under the National Information Technology Authority, Uganda Act, 2009 as one of the key players in the Information and Communications Technology Sector. Its mandated is to coordinate, promote and monitor IT development within the context of national social and economic development, with a vision as “a facilitator of a knowledge-based, globally competitive Uganda where social transformation and economic development is supported through IT enabled services.”
Job Summary: The Information Technology (IT) Research & Innovation Officer will oversee and coordinate the Information Technology (IT) Research and Innovation function in NITA-U and Nation-wide in line with NITA-U’s Strategic Plan, the National Development Plan, the National Science, Technology & Innovation Policy/Plan and other related Plans.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the IT research & Innovation function by identifying critical questions facing NITA-U and crafting appropriate research methods to address them. Provide in-depth analysis based on extensive client input and personal experience;
- Identify and provide recommendations for NITA-U’s Information Technology projects;
- Carry out research on emerging technologies;
- Identify and engage all IT Research & Innovation Stakeholders and facilitate the creation of a platform/forum for regular stakeholder engagement (National IT Research & Innovation Network);
- Plan, develop and maintain the Government IT Centre of Excellence
- The incumbent will coordinate the development and implementation of a comprehensive IT Research & Innovation System in consultation with the key stakeholders;
- Plan and develop IT Research and Innovation project proposals (needs assessments, appraisals, and pre‐project studies) in line with the authority’s strategic plan;
- Initiate, support, sustain, consolidate and operationalize the country’s IT Research and Innovation agenda;
- Build IT Research and Innovation capacity for staff in collaboration with partners and stakeholders according to the IT Research and Innovation business plans
- Offer technical support to the various Directorates in regard to IT Research and Innovation support functions;
- Oversee the planning, organising and management of the IT Research and Innovation function
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Information Technology (IT) Research & Innovation Officer placement should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems, Statistics or their equivalent;
- Possession of a Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems, Software Engineering or a closely related field is an added advantage;
- Professional/ Industry IT Certification such as ITIL, MCSE, CISSP, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, PMP etc. are an added advantage;
- Certification in Research Administration such as Certified Research Administrator (CRA) is an added advantage.
- At least three years of proven and demonstrable experience in IT Research and Innovation in a reputable Public or Private Organization;
- Previous exposure and experience in researching and recommending technical solutions related to Information Technology;
- Prior experience managing technology or software development projects; supervising professional or management staff; preparing and managing a variety of complex information technology related operations; setting goals, priorities and strategies for computer system security and other technical solutions;
- Previous experience in establishing procedures and implementing processes; analysing functions and practices to improve effectiveness; using Information Technology for Research, Innovation and Development efforts; and facilitating group processes;
- Working knowledge of emerging technologies; systems integration and infrastructure; project implementation strategies; and research, innovation and development strategies;
- Ability to train and supervise staff; analyse, interpret and apply laws and regulations; establish and manage department priorities, processes and procedures; work independently; establish and maintain appropriate project deadlines; manage multiple projects; work with a variety of individuals and groups; communicate effectively; exercise sound judgment; travel to various locations.
How to Apply:
All candidates who meet the job requirements/specifications and with the right personal attributes are invited to complete and submit their application form, download here, with a cover letter, supported by curriculum vitae, copies of certificates and testimonials, and must specify day time telephone contact, postal and email addresses of both the applicant and three referees, to the address below.
The Executive Director,
National Information Technology
Authority – UGANDA (NITA-U),
Palm Courts, Plot 7A, Rotary Avenue (former Lugogo bypass)
P.O. Box 33151, Kampala-Uganda
Tel: 0417 801 038
Or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org (application must not exceed 10MBs)
Applicants must also submit with their application verifiable evidence supporting previous relevant appointments such as appointment letters and employment contracts.
Deadline: 6th June 2016 by 12.00 hrs.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline